Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low compression?

Tuner620
04-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi. I recently replaced the cylinder head/valves on my 95 civic ex, and am having a lot of engine problems. First of all, the compression sucks, and I think that is the root of all of my other problems. I got 90 110 130 90psi on the cylinders. New head gasket when I did the head install.

Was thinking that the valves were bad, but I do not get any backfiring what so ever. Also, although its hard to start, it runs ok. The engine makes a lot more racket as well. However it might just be valve lash.

On other thing. I can not get the timing belt to line up perfectly. I did not take it off completely when I did the install, simply loosened it up and slid it off, and then slid it back on the same teeth (marked them). When the crank is lined up perfectly, the cam sprocket is off by ~5mm. Not a whole tooth. How would this affect engine performance? I know that if the valves are opening/closing at the wrong time it could affect compression, but its barely off. Timing is right on.

thanks for any help. Im at a loss.

Tuner620
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Also, if I unplug the wires individually with engine running (or the injectors) the engine will almost stall for each cylinder except the first. rpms lower some, but not much.

I do not know what condition the rings are in.

It has a very rough idle and it will not start while hot. I have to let it cool first. I believe this is due to the crappy compression, which brings me back to my original question: What could cause such low compression with a new head gasket?

Tuner620
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Any ideas at all? nobody?

Add your comment to this topic!