Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wont keep running with maf hooked

2c2g
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm having a problem with my 88 305 tpi .Its really hard to keep it running when it cold if i keep the maf hooked up, I've checked the cold start injector and it's spraying at start up. i adjusted the tps to 0.5v at idle position and 4.9 at wot, the Iac vavle is set to 1-1/8" THE fuel pumped was replaced last year it sounds normal. The 8 injectors all read about 16.7 to 17 on the ohm meter,I haven't checked if the injectors are bleeding down with a fuel pressure gage because i don't have one. I don't smell alot of gas when it does start. Its seem like it's running out of gas.It will run for about 5-7 secons at 1100 rpm then dies.If I keep pumping the throttle to keep running until it warms up it's fine but that takes about 4-5 minutes to do that. And its not throwing any codes with maf hooked up, but it will stay running with it unplugged. Should i check the fuel regulator and how would i do that? Any sugggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jdl
03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
On some makes and models, they had some much trouble with the maf senors, they used a different prom or something and switched to speed density system, map sensor, no maf.

Some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one. You can call and ask? At least maybe you could rule out the fuel issue? If the problem is temp related, maybe cts? I don't like to throw parts at a vehicle.

2c2g
03-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I got a a fuel pressure gauge and it reads 42psi
like i said it runs without the maf plugged in it just run at 1100 rpm idle i think its in the open loop mode. I just want to make sure it's a bad maf because they want $320.plus tax at napa.Gm dealer want $843.00

Add your comment to this topic!