Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: resin parts/kits - how much would you pay?

It's probably too general and depends on too many other variables; most importantly, I reckon this is something that is very much dependent on the car model in question.

As an example, I would willingly pay the 50 or so £ for the Renaissance Porsche GT3 Road Challenge (also suitable for road RS car) transkit for Tamiya GT3. That kit includes new (otherwise unavailable) wheels, new front+rear bumper, new headlight covers, new rear wing, two seats, roll cage, PE details and new dash/steering/cockpit parts as well as a new race car interior.

But if there existed say a transkit to convert a Lamborghini Diablo SV into a late model 6.0 that had the exact same parts, I don't think I'd consider it.
I'd like the wheels though and I think £10-2 for a set of resin wheels isn't far off.

Then again, I don't think I'm the target audience for bodykit style parts.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano11 View Post
IMO the thread is OK.
He is willing to know what people would pay, not what a certain person would pay.
The answers if correctly interpreted statistically may provide good info for anyone interested.

The thread isn't hypothetical it's rather a generalist one and I think it's pertinent to the model building world reality.
I think jano11 has made a really good point here. I'm interested in seeing the replies here since I produce a few resin parts.

Now to contribute something more to this thread...price depends (Or at least should) on a lot of things, mainly the quality and quantity of what you're getting. I'd rather pay more for fewer, but higher quality parts, than a whole box of stuff that's full of flaws that need to be fixed (Poor dimensions, air bubbles, rough spots, etc.) Also, the relevence of the parts is important too. If they're parts for a kit that no one buys, then a high price will most likely result in no sales. But if they're parts for something uber-popular, then a higher price can be justified due to the higher demand.

Sometimes trial-and-error is also the way to go, by adjusting the price until you seem to hit a 'sweet-spot' where customers are happy.
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #18
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
It's probably too general and depends on too many other variables; most importantly, I reckon this is something that is very much dependent on the car model in question.

As an example, I would willingly pay the 50 or so £ for the Renaissance Porsche GT3 Road Challenge (also suitable for road RS car) transkit for Tamiya GT3. That kit includes new (otherwise unavailable) wheels, new front+rear bumper, new headlight covers, new rear wing, two seats, roll cage, PE details and new dash/steering/cockpit parts as well as a new race car interior.

But if there existed say a transkit to convert a Lamborghini Diablo SV into a late model 6.0 that had the exact same parts, I don't think I'd consider it.
I'd like the wheels though and I think £10-2 for a set of resin wheels isn't far off.

Then again, I don't think I'm the target audience for bodykit style parts.
I think that picking extreme examples has little relevance to the biger picture, simply because each of us would pay a fortune for some parts but wouldn't even consider others.

The thread's question is a general question though and a good one.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
kans0002
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano11 View Post
IMO the thread is OK.
He is willing to know what people would pay, not what a certain person would pay.
The answers if correctly interpreted statistically may provide good info for anyone interested.

The thread isn't hypothetical it's rather a generalist one and I think it's pertinent to the model building world reality.
I see both sides of this conversation. Maybe if he could give us some examples of specific kits/pieces he was thinking of casting we could provide a more accurate response…
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex

I am currently selling Mustang LX conversion bumpers for the revell cobra kit and will eventually be selling a Mustang LX coupe body. I sell the bumpers for $9 shipped to anywhere in the continental states, the bodies will be $30 and will include the windows. I heard of one company selling them for close to $70 for the body, hood, windows, and tail lights, that is rediculous in my opinion. Then again, this is a hobby for me and not really a business, merely trying to spread the love of the one off pieces I make

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans0002 View Post
I see both sides of this conversation. Maybe if he could give us some examples of specific kits/pieces he was thinking of casting we could provide a more accurate response…
I think he isn't looking for an answer for a certain part or kit.

And he is right. Kit manufacturers aren't pricing kits in function of their possible popularity, it's based on the costs of production and the projected profit they want to make out of the production of a certain kit. This is how things should be done.

A manufacturer or artisan for that matter shouldn't base his business only on 50 die hard fans of a certain car, who will pay huge prices for it, he won't go far with such an approach, especially not in 1/24 scale kits that do not cost a fortune, though it might work for 1/8th and bigger and very expensive and limited kits, where he can live from selling only 50 copies or less.

When a producer is addressing a larger group like that of 1/24 scale builders than he needs to make his parts affordable for anyone.

Let's not forget that kits that now are very rare and cost a lot of money were released in runs of 100 pieces or more and were priced at a very reasonable level back than.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
O'Ranki
AF Newbie

Speaking of the Renaissance Road Challenge transkit. It's the same price (without decals) as the Scale Production GT3 Carrera Cup transkit. If you compare the quality, is Renaissance overpriced or Scale Production a bargain? Opinions?

Last edited by O'Ranki; 07-13-2009 at 09:05 AM.
O'Ranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

oh wow, that casting is really bad and those wheels aren't as good as they seem to be in other photos. Of course, the proviso that the kit parts are of a certain level in quality holds true and that £50 for a transkit that has the parts in the gt3 transkit still seems reasonable to me.
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.3; U; Series60/3.2 NokiaN96-1/1.10; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #24
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

One resin maker told me picking new offerings is a gamble. You make a set of parts that you think people will want, promote...and wait. He said sometimes they take off and you can't make parts fast enough. Other times the parts don't sell at all - at any price.

I personally think the internet is a good forum for producers to at least feel around for interest in a specific new offering before they commit to making a master. (Love to see someone make a Chairs-N-Flairs for my 246GT btw....Jano)

As far as price for current resin parts I WANT to have:
Set of wheels/tires: $10-20
Engine kit(block,trans,1/2shafts): $25-50
Body/chassis transkit: $50-65
Full kit (200+ parts): $175-225

Example: I've been buying resin lately from Historic Racing Miniatures. While their resin isn't perfect, it's pretty good. Their prices are reasonable and the subjects are cool in my opinion. The HRM Cobra Daytona Full Detail Kit IS perfect resin and a bargain at $185. My 330 P4 engine was a bit steep at $60 but the subject was one I had to have. Aso, the R&MM Ferrari engines are still a good deal even at $80 IMO.
CrateCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher View Post
Love to see someone make a Chairs-N-Flairs for my 246GT btw....Jano
Please have a bit of patience, Cheesy will do the seats and I'll do the wheels, but a bit of time is needed to get things right!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

[quote=O'Ranki;6001425]

Opinions?

That casting on the left is the scuzziest object I've ever seen. Did they actually charge you money for that?!

I'd be too embarrassed/ashamed to send that out the door with my name on it.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #27
O'Ranki
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster View Post
That casting on the left is the scuzziest object I've ever seen. Did they actually charge you money for that?!
Well, yes. However, that's the worst part. The photoetched parts are actually quite nice and everything else is ok too. Sure the wheels need cleaning and the rollcage doesn't fit properly.
Easiest way to correct the interior IMHO is to get one of those Scale Production Carrera Cup transkits and make the necessary modifications for the rally version.
O'Ranki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

Whenever I look at that casting on the left, I think of caramel candies.
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #29
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned.by.twenty View Post

Whenever I look at that casting on the left, I think of caramel candies.
Same here!
It looks like it did melt a bit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling