Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

Do you know anything about the Fujimi 1/16 Porsche 959 Blackstar?

My LHS has 2 of them, for $99 CDN, each. The MSRP on the box is 5500 yen ($65 CDN), so it's a decent price. I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the quality of the kit. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
mike united
AF Enthusiast

Cant help you with the quality thing, what i do know though is that it's not recommended for "beginers".
Buy one & show us pleeeeeeeeease !!!

Mike.
mike united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #3
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

Re: Do you know anything about the Fujimi 1/16 Porsche 959 Blackstar?

I'm thinking I will buy one, but unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. It supposedly has opening doors and full engine detail.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

I have not seen the kit but I have seen them cheap on ebay (the most I have seen them is $35.00 US. I also know that racingminiatures.com has them for $75.00 Cdn. HTH Mike.

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:09 AM   #5
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

Basically its an enthusiast kit just in 1/16 scale. I got the Countach 25th Anniversary and the F40 from Fujimi in this scale and the builds are quite decent, except for the doors, but youll handle that. What Id like to ask you ist to find out the difference between stock Porsche 959 and the Blackstar! Can you tell us?
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
DSM-Mark
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather23
Basically its an enthusiast kit just in 1/16 scale. I got the Countach 25th Anniversary and the F40 from Fujimi in this scale and the builds are quite decent, except for the doors, but youll handle that. What Id like to ask you ist to find out the difference between stock Porsche 959 and the Blackstar! Can you tell us?
I've been searching the web for a while here, and have to say there isn't much out there about these kits. There's a fair number of sites selling them, but none with open box pictures, etc, at least that I can find.

I'm also trying to find reference on what exactly a "Porsche 959 Blackstar" is in real life, but nothing is coming up... I think what fujimi did is mold the stock 959 in black plastic and called it something new. They also have Lamborghini Blackstars and a couple others, if I recall correctly. I thought Blackstar might have been a tuning house like Koenig or Hamann, but the only Blackstar I found relating to car design puts body kits on civics. I'd like to think that a company tuning an uber-elite german sports car wouldn't stoop down to body kitting a civic. Either way, even if it is them, I couldn't find anything about a Porsche 959 on their website.

Supercars.net lists both a stock 959 and a "Sport" 959 as having been produced. The Sport option is a stock 959 minus 100 kg (220 lbs). This is accomplished by removing the creature comforts from the stock 959 (power windows, a/c, rear seat, etc). So the Blackstar may be representing that car, but I doubt it.

HTH.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Chuck Kourouklis
AF Regular

Yup, as with DSM, my impression is that "Blackstar" is Fujimi's fancy way of saying "black plastic".

Testors boxed these kits when they first came out in 1988 - the one I have is molded in black and grey, with white body parts. It really seems like one of the nicest of the Fujimi 1/16's to me, ever so slightly simplified compared to the others (ie, parts count in the 180's as opposed to well over 200), yet more accurate. You don't get any of the funky proportions in this one that you do with the Testarossas or F40's, and the steerable wheels, opening doors, and decklid are all accounted for. I think the Bridgestones in this kit were the first to break the tyranny of the 15" Pirelli P7's that monopolized so many of the previous Fujimi 1/16's - those tires were the only real sore point of their 1/16 288 GTO.

A kit worth pursuing, but I'd bird-dog for a better price, I think...
Chuck Kourouklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
godfather23
AF Enthusiast

The prices are quite reasonable on ebay.de. I agree with you guys on the Blackstar Issue, nevertheless, I think I need to get one of those. Maybe just the basic Fujimi kit and then paint it black?
Im not sure on that yet, but since the quality on the 1/16 kits of Fujimi is that awesome, its basically a must buy!
Ferrari 250 GTO LM 1962 (chassis #3387)
godfather23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
007ightning
AF Newbie

Snatch them up, because fujimi has already stop producing them. After a few months of having them in stock, I have called a few distributors, and they have all told me they cant order them/get them anymore.

John
007ightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #10
Technoman
AF Enthusiast

I think the blackstar came with a few PE extras for the seatbelts that the regular version didn't have.

I can tell you that there was never a 'Blackstar' version of the real 959, just the 959 and 'Sport' version as mentioned unless you want to get into the factory builds.
I have seen the regular version of this kit and would agree with Chuck-K that the proportions on this one are better in general tan the other 1/16.

Aj
Technoman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling