Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
mmitsch
AF Newbie

Tires for 2017 Odyssey

We want to get tires for our daughters 2017 Honda Odyssey Touring Rlite minivan. It has Michelin PRIMACY MXM4 tires on it now. Van has 36000 miles on it. Belle Tire said front tires need replaced. Not sure if I should only replace 2 or all 4 and hold 2 better ones I’m my garage as backup.

I have gotten my thoughts to 4 ideas and would like input.

1. Same tires. Michelin Primacy - 60000
2. Michelin CrossClimate2 -60000
3. Michelin Defender. - 80000
4. Toyo Open County QT - 65000

I am not sure if these mileage estimates mean too much. For example the Primacy tires on it need replacing at 36000 so the 60000 didn’t help. Is there a way to claim this?

These is a $30 / tire difference between Michelin and Toyo. Toyo was a recommendation from Belle Tire.

Our daughter has 3 kids and we want her safe. Cost isn’t an issue.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks!!!

Mike
mmitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tires for 2017 Odyssey

First, those mileage figures are what the tire manufacturer provides as warranty - and the warranty stipulates regular rotations, which obviously didn't happen to the set on there now - meaning the rear tires can go a lot further and that improves the average.

Second, tire wear is highly dependent on the driving situation. Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode, so driving in the city with all those turns wears tires out much more rapidly than country driving, where straight ahead driving is practically free!

So take those mileage warranty values with a grain of salt. They are just what the tire manufacturer feels comfortable doing a warranty on - and some manufacturers can get pretty aggressive with their mileage warranties. (Michelin tends to be conservative.)

Then there is the issue of OE tires - the ones that come on new cars from the assembly plant. Those tires were designed by the vehicle manufacturer when it comes to wear, traction, and fuel economy - and since vehicle manufacturers don't care about tire wear, but do care about fuel economy, they specify tires that don't wear well, and may have traction issues in order to get tires with good rolling resistance. So the tire manufacturer doesn't provide a mileage warranty on OE tires (with a couple of exceptions.)

Please note: It is common for tire manufacturers to advertise a mileage warranty for OE tires that they sell through a tire dealer, because tire dealers want that, but the tires that actually come on the new car don't have that warranty. This can cause confusion for the consumer. This is especially true for tire lines where most of the sizes are NOT OE, so the tire manufacturer will just have to eat the cost of mileage warranty claims for those OE sizes sold through a tire dealer - sort of a cost of doing business.

Another consideration is that different tires front to rear can cause handling issues in emergency maneuvers - and sometimes those handling issues don't show up until you need them to behave predictably (Let's face it: Most people don't do emergency handling maneuvers unless they have to, so they never know!) - and then it is too late!! And the more different the tires are, the greater the risk.

The best situation is to have 4 tires of the same make, model and state of wear. Next best is the same make and model.

Visit my website: http://www.barrystiretech.com/
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Tires for 2017 Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Second, tire wear is highly dependent on the driving situation. Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode, so driving in the city with all those turns wears tires out much more rapidly than country driving, where straight ahead driving is practically free!
That depends on where you live. I live in the country and couldn't tell you what a straight road looks like. I never get near the mileage out of my tires, even with regular rotations because of that. I would say city drivers actually have it better.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension