Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
limesmj
AF Newbie

Talking 99 Tahoe = Bulletproof, kinda.

First time poster here... so far from all the info I've read, I need to do some serious work on my truck. Any advice would be great.

-Bought new, I've never tuned this thing up (ever!) and I just hit the 110K mark today. Disregarding all of those SES lights (came on every once in a while but never paid attention to them), I was wondering what exactly is involved in a tune up for this engine?

-My last emissions testing, I barely passed... I think my hydrocarbons was at the NY limit. Do I need to get a new cat or will the tune up fix my problem? I've used super unleaded for the life of the vehicle.

-When I try turn the steering wheel all the way to the limit, a loud clicking noise eminates from under the hood. I am guessing it's time to replace the pump?

-When I floor the truck at a green light (typical lead foot), and the truck changes from 1st to 2nd gear, there is a loud squeak from the engine. The sound reminds me of my friend's blow off valve in his turbo charged rice rocket when he changes gears. Is this noise "normal"? And what could it be? Belt slipping?

-My gas gauge is vibrating back and forth very fast so the needle looks blurry. After reading a similar forum post, I did replace the fuel pump but never mentioned to the shop to replace the sender. The gauge still vibrates but I got rid of that annoying "waaaaaaaah" pump noise that I had ever since I bought the truck. Is the sender an integral part of the fuel pump or do I have to get a new sender as well?

-I recently had the u-joint's replaced because the shaft fell off (yes. not a pretty sight) but every so often I get a light pipe banging (clicking) noise from under the vehicle in forward or reverse. Most noticeable after hard driving and coasting in bumper to bumper traffic. Any ideas?

I know I should treat my truck better but I am just milking the whole "like a rock" slogan.

Just FYI, just thought I might share what I've done to my truck:
Borla dual catback; Stainless steel mesh grill; Xenon flares; Projector lights; K&N open intake; Granatelli MAF; Engine chip; Complete sound system. I've always loved the Tahoe ever since my first K-Blazer in 1992... if every problem above isn't worth fixing, I'll prolly get a new Denali. Nevertheless, I have to fix somethings up to save face trading this tank in. Thanks for your help!
limesmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:50 AM   #2
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 92rs25th
Sqeauking isn't normal , I beat the hell out of my tahoe too but there is no squeaking.

Driveshaft probablyhas something internal or you might have a peice of broken off metal in the spleen.

Your emissions are probably so poor because of the excessive amount of abuse , Get the engine flushed out and have them inspect for carbon build in the oil.

Dunno bout the gas gauge problem but mine tricks me all the time , pisses me off but not worth wasting the time to fix , yet.

I get ticking from my power steering pump as wheel , the ticking shouldn't be anything more then a self indicatorthat is has reached it's limit. Mine still turns with the effortless finger tip on a dime so I doubt it's going out.

Get some new plugs for the thing too if you haven't already , I passed emissions just fine in UTAH where they have stupid clean air laws n crap but I also had stock plugs , I put in BOSCH platinums 2 and got more spark and more burn off , I had it re emissioned afterwards ( out of curiosity ) and it was burning 15% cleaner.

All I can say bout that , My tahoe only has 52K on it so I haven't done any tune ups to it. Just filter replacement , upgraded the tranny oil cooler , new plugs , msd wires and some subs in the back O.o

Hope something here can help. Heh
92rs25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
typicalsituations
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Tahoe = Bulletproof, kinda.

[quote=limesmj]

-When I try turn the steering wheel all the way to the limit, a loud clicking noise eminates from under the hood. I am guessing it's time to replace the pump?

-My gas gauge is vibrating back and forth very fast so the needle looks blurry. After reading a similar forum post, I did replace the fuel pump but never mentioned to the shop to replace the sender. The gauge still vibrates but I got rid of that annoying "waaaaaaaah" pump noise that I had ever since I bought the truck. Is the sender an integral part of the fuel pump or do I have to get a new sender as well?

QUOTE]

Sounds like you need a new Steering pump

As for the guage... I have not figured out how to fix that... I have te SAME problem. I've been told that it is the sensor....
typicalsituations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
tealse
AF Regular

Well my 97 has 136.000 on it and here is what I have replaced over the years.
Fuel pump and sending unit to fix the damn bouncing gas needle..$350
It started running rough so I changed .injectors $80 a pop x 8..Fuel pressure reg $50.upper intake gaskets set $25.cap plugs and rotor $55.power steering pump$55.Steering sensor $60.
So since 97 These are the only parts I've changed + oil changes tranny fluids flush-fill etc.And I would not hesitate to drive my truck across the good ole usa . Up keep on these trucks is important especially after 100k watch that tranny. Why spend $50.000 on a denali when you can make your tahoe run new again for under a $1000???
tealse is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K