Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > SCCA Racing > Rally Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
rallyfannumber1
AF Newbie

how to become a rally driver?

hello, i need info .. how to bcome a rally driver
rallyfannumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Re: how to become a rally driver?

Check out the www.scca.org website, but also look for a rallycross near you. Then, go buy a crap car that you can afford to fix ALL THE TIME and a helmet, and go racin'! It's fun, but expensive.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
rallyfannumber1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: how to become a rally driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKhan
Check out the www.scca.org website, but also look for a rallycross near you. Then, go buy a crap car that you can afford to fix ALL THE TIME and a helmet, and go racin'! It's fun, but expensive.

thanx bud but.. i want a to become a pro ,,, like what license would i need and stuff... thank you for the link i am checking it out now, i live no where near a rally track .. i live in newfoundland
rallyfannumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Re: Re: Re: how to become a rally driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyfannumber1
thanx bud but.. i want a to become a pro ,,, like what license would i need and stuff... thank you for the link i am checking it out now, i live no where near a rally track .. i live in newfoundland
You still have to start at the bottom, even if you want to be a pro. SCCA and Rally America are the only two nationwide organizations I know of where you can start out. I'm not sure about Canada, though. I'm sure there's a similar organization there. Google "rally Canada" and see where you can start out. You gotta start with the bottom-level rally before you can move up to the Group N, Open, and world-level stuff.

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
PSYCHORACING
AF Regular

The key to becoming a pro rally driver is money. the more driving schools you go to, the better off you will be. What all the big name companies look for is people with potential, so show up tot he races prepaired to handle anything.
PSYCHORACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

You also need as much personality as skill to become a pro because the sponsors have to like you enough to cut a check.
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
da_moose
AF Newbie

For information regarding rallying in Canada go to http://carsrally.ca. The first thing you need to do is join a CARS affiliated club (their listed on the website). After which you can apply for a rally license through CARS. With the rally license you will be given a current rule book which outlines the rules aswell gives information on what needs to be done in order to build a car.

As far as driving is concerned, as someone stated in an earlier post you need to start at the bottom (same with any motorsport). Your best bet is to start running some navigational rallies which don't require a "rally-car" to give you some experience with timing, notes, and general rally setup. At the same time run some rallycrosses to get some driving experience. I'm not exactly sure what your goals are but to become a FIA seeded driver in Canada (or anywhere I think) there is a minimum number of events which you need to win. In order to do this you really need to have a highly competitive car. The cost to build a highly competitive open-class rally car is usually somewhere between 250-500 K. I'm not trying to say it is impossible but it will take a long time. I don't know your driving abilities or your financial position but if you could, don't expect to throw that kind of money into a car and expect to win because you probably won't finish the first stage. You need to start out in a low-power car and learn to drive it fast then progress to a higher-powered car. Although we do take rallying here in Canada seriously (at least within the clubs) there has only been one driver to ever compete in a WRC event. Honestly, saying you want to start out in rallying is one thing but expecting to become a pro is a whole other ball-game. That said there are a few rally schools in the U.S. but you will only learn the basics there. It's all about experience and practice which takes time.
da_moose is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > SCCA Racing > Rally Racing