Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
dsclarke
AF Newbie

Galant 2001 driverside Halo headlight removal

Please help. I am trying to remove the connector to the bulb. Should the wire housing unit pull right off? Mine seems to be stuck. Are there clips to release the plastic unit? Please assist. Thanks.
dsclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
mikekelleher1
AF Newbie

Re: Galant 2001 driverside Halo headlight removal

i'm having the same problem
mikekelleher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

theres always a hidden clip or nut somewhere. if not, use muscle.

The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.
Shpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
MrEdxoxo
AF Newbie

OK I just finshed doing an R&R on the OEM halogen headlamps on my 2000 Galant. Here is what I needed to know that nobody would tell me.

1. From under the hood, remove the connector from the back of the headlamp. There is a retainer clip built into the connector. Grip the connector from the sides and sqeeze in. You should feel the retainers flex in about 1/8 inch on both sides. The connector is tight and requires a little wiggling. Grip it firmly. Regrip it if you have to. If you slip off, your finger can snag on a small plasic part on the connector and damage the connector housing. Don't pull too hard. The bulb is held in place by a spring and it could be damaged by yanking on the connector without squeezing the relase clips in all the way.
2. remove the rubber boot. It just pulls straight off. Note how it fits with the arrows at the top and how it snaps out. You will want to feel it pop back into place when you replace it.
3. The actual bulb is held in place with a spring clip. The spring is screwed down on one side, wraps around the bulb over the top, and snaps in place on the other side. Don't remove the screw. Look on the side opposite the screw. There is a little loop in the spring wire. Press the loop toward the front of the car and then down to release it. If you yanked on the bulb, like I did before I found out about the connector retainer, the spring release may have gotten jammed. Press in and down and it should release and will then pivot on the screw and swing out. The bulb is now loose and will just about fall out.

When handling the new bulbs do not touch the bulb. If you get any dirt, oil, or even finger prints on the glass, clean it off before installation. I did all the disassembly and then wore disposable gloves to unwrap and install the new bulbs.

The lamps come on a mounting with 3 prongs. The prongs fit into groves in the housing. 1 up and 2 down. Once these are in place, swing the spring clip back into place and snap it into the housing by pushing down and into the housing. Snap the rubber boot back into place. Reconnect the wires.

you should be ready to romp!

I am trying out the Sylvania Ultras. Nice white light. Big improvement over the old yellowed bulbs that just died. If you are gonna put in the better bulbs, please make sure the bulbs are aimed correctly. My quick test is to look at the car in front of me. If I am illuminating the cab, my lights are too high and blinding the driver. If you are blinding me you may get the finder. If you can see it... you deserve it!

If you are thinking about using the really cool very hi power bulbs, be aware that they can draw too much power and melt your wiring. Even if the don't melt the wires right away, the extra draw can cause all the lamps to run hot and damage other housings in the lighting circuits. I found that out the hard way when I had to change bulbs in my used Honda Prelude. All the running lamp housings were melted onto the bulbs. There are ways to install the high power lamps, but not with the OEM wiring.

Last edited by MrEdxoxo; 11-29-2007 at 11:00 PM.
MrEdxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote