Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only
Traffic Violations - U.S. only Discuss anything conerning speeding tickets and other traffic violations in the US.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj
speeding ticket...suspended license... and court tomorrow

hey guys so I'm just pondering this situation here that my roommate is in and was wondering what your thoughts on the subject may be.

First I'll fill you in on the story. So about 8-9 months ago my roommate got pulled over for doing 33 in a 25. He pleaded guilty and recieved a fine of around $120 I believe. He was informed by the issueing officer that he had 30 days to pay it. Of course he waited about 30 days I think it was 28 or so to be exact. But I can vouch for him mailing the check because I watched him write it and mail it. anyway the day after he mailed it he got a letter saying that if he failed to pay his license would become suspended. But of course he had sent the check the day before therefore thought nothing of the letter and life was good. So anyway back to present day...

He gets pulled over doing 40 in a 30, officer runs his license... uhoh suspended. He had no idea it had been suspended or why. Officers puts him in the squad car and brings him downtown where he is told that he is in big trouble and should look into getting a lawyer etc. Apparently its been suspended from the incident 8-9 months ago. The city says they never recieved payment for the original speeding ticket.

So anyway we go and get him and now he hasn't had a license for a month while awaiting court and stuff. He called the bank and found out that his check was never processed, so the city wasn't lying they really didn't get his money. However he feels he should have been notified of the suspension rather than getting told by and officer on the street and then hauled downtown.

So anyway my thoughts on this are that both parties are kinda at fault, He should have followed through to make sure the city got his check, and the city should have notified him of the suspension. So what do you guys think of this situation? I think he's gonna get screwed tomorrow at court but i'm not sure.

New:
1998 chevy BlaZeR2~ AKA "Jeep recovery device"

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
lamehonda
AF Enthusiast

Re: speeding ticket...suspended license... and court tomorrow

Guess I won't be mailing my fines in anymore without sending it certified and early.
lamehonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Your local government at work...

Honestly all he can do is tell the Judge the story, and you can be his witness to back him up on the story.

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Chevy4life1985
AF Enthusiast

Um i hate to say this but i was in a somewhat similiar position. I got into an accident in Dec. 6, 2003. It was a big noreaster. Anyway cop writes me a ticket and says hes going to mail it to me. He puts the ticket in on Dec. 8, 2003. I didnt recieve the the ticket until Jan. 6, 2003. A week later i receive a notice in the mail that my license has been suspended. So i got to the local DMV(Department of Motor Vehichles) and try to straighten it out. They say the called the main office and told me it was all set. Now this was in jan. the day of the notice. They tell me that ill get a notice to go and fight the ticket. It never comes. I get pulled over in April of 04. Cop comes back and tells me my license was suspended. I explain the story and he just writes me a ticket and i have to go to court.( HE was cool let me just park my car, no arrest, no tow) Anyway i go to court and the judge throws out the case cuz i took care of the ticket and reinstated my license the next day. So just have your buddy explain the situation. Another thing bring the copy of his check book. And tell him to stop speeding. OH and by the way the it usually takes 5-10 days for mail to arrive at the destined place. Tell your buddy next time to not wait so long.
Chevy4life1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys, anyway as far as for an update.. He went to court and was assigned a public defender and now has a trial date set for next month... so yet another month with out a license.

I spoke with some of the state troopers who come into our shop and they all told me to tell him to have his ublic defender speak with the prosecuter and explain the situation and more than likely the prosecuter will lower it to a less severe violation therefore saving my roommate money, and it will also move the court date closer so he won't have to wait as long.

Anyway thats how it stands right now. I'll keep you guys updated on the saga haha.

New:

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
Old 09-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Chevy4life1985
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorwj
thanks for the input guys, anyway as far as for an update.. He went to court and was assigned a public defender and now has a trial date set for next month... so yet another month with out a license.

I spoke with some of the state troopers who come into our shop and they all told me to tell him to have his ublic defender speak with the prosecuter and explain the situation and more than likely the prosecuter will lower it to a less severe violation therefore saving my roommate money, and it will also move the court date closer so he won't have to wait as long.

Anyway thats how it stands right now. I'll keep you guys updated on the saga haha.
Dude the way it sounds your roomate is going to jail. Let us know what happens. Oh and BTW if he gets convicted ill send him some ky jelly.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #7
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Re: speeding ticket...suspended license... and court tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy4life1985
Dude the way it sounds your roomate is going to jail. Let us know what happens. Oh and BTW if he gets convicted ill send him some ky jelly.

Okay, no need to be a prick about it.

To the original poster. Yes both are at fault, but unfortunantly, your roommate more than the county, because that is how the system works, and your friend should have gotten on top of the situation a little sooner. It's like hte IRS, etc, you are the one responsible...they aren't going to notify you everytime you missed a deadline...you are just going to get nailed with the fines, etc, at a later date. Best of luck to him, I would think with a public defender they will at least be a bit more understanding. But I hope he learns his lesson...never expect 'the man' to care about your personal situation...it is up to you to be on top of it.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
Chevy4life1985
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: speeding ticket...suspended license... and court tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
Okay, no need to be a prick about it.
Um dude it was a joke. You know sarcasm.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

So when's the court date? I'd expect that if your roommate has all the fines/penalties from the first ticket and the money for the second, he should get the suspended license back, and that ticket should go bye-bye.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:31 AM   #10
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

court date is the end of october. He has to meet with the PD next week sometime. I beleive his plan as of right now is to pay up all fines in full before his court date to show that as soon as he found out his fine had not been paid he paid it and he hopes that helps a bit in court.

New:

Newer:
2007 Honda CB900F "919"
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
fredjacksonsan

Heh. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #12
copcarcrzy
AF Regular

To the orgional poster.
Its not the cops or the courts job to send you letters begging for your money to pay a fine. your friend should have read the back of the ticket, Im sure it tells him that if he fails to appear or pay, his license would be suspended. if he wanted to wait to give them money like I do, I wait till the second to last day and pay in person, with several checks or money orders ( cost money, but have screw it). if I have fine to pay im gonna make them work for it..
copcarcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #13
fredjacksonsan

Re: Re: speeding ticket...suspended license... and court tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by copcarcrzy
To the orgional poster.
Its not the cops or the courts job to send you letters begging for your money to pay a fine. your friend should have read the back of the ticket, Im sure it tells him that if he fails to appear or pay, his license would be suspended. if he wanted to wait to give them money like I do, I wait till the second to last day and pay in person, with several checks or money orders ( cost money, but have screw it). if I have fine to pay im gonna make them work for it..
Good point, but his roommate DID mail in the payment; the gov't said the didn't receive it....certified and early is definitely the way to go.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Chevy4life1985
AF Enthusiast

Yea his roomate sent in the check the day it was due. That check would have never made it in time.
You to read this
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...1&page=1&pp=20
Old 11-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #15
fredjacksonsan

So what happened? It's November!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > Traffic Violations - U.S. only