Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
rjirvine
AF Regular

Cleaned throttle body and egr tube, my two cents

I just took off my air ducting to get a good look at the throttle body. I know it had been sticking sometimes, and there is a service bulletin out for certain serial numbers. So, I decided to take a look. The ring around the body was dirty, right at the pivot points so I sprayed a lot of carb cleaner in there and wiped it free with a lint free rag.

Man, did my engine run like shiite afterwords, lots of surging etc, but no service engine soon light. I thought I may have loosened up stuff that made it's way to the chambers, and was freaking out. I put the air intake back on and it ran fine. I can't believe the intake makes that much difference. Am I wrong? I wouln't mind putting a K&N in, but dont want the associated dirty oil, and some people don't like em. I maintain my vehicles for RELIABILITY and gas mileage, not necessarily racing etc.

By the way I've been to the site referred to on here about "free mods" and I can tell you the EGR tube is a BIG obstruction in the manifold, as witnessed today. I was thinking of cutting a lot of it off as suggested on the mods site, but am always hesitant to tweak what the GM engineers came up with. Can anyone seee a drawback with cutting most of the EGR tube out of the intake?
rjirvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
kenny-1907
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to kenny-1907
Re: Cleaned throttle body and egr tube, my two cents

I did the mod of cutting off the part of the egr tube that goes into the throttle body and did not notice one bit of difference but at least it is no longer in there obstructing the air flow or causing turbulance. As for your truck running like crap with the air intake tube not on i think it may have done that because the MAF (mass air flow sensor) was not sending any info telling the computer anything even though it was running. As for the K&N intake , i have had one since the fall time and have had no problems. The only problems i have heard people having is when they clean them and re oil them they oil it too much and do not let it dry and the oil gets on the filiments on the MAF causing it to throw a code and run like crap.

6" Pro Comp lift
305/55/20 BFG A/T KO'S
K&N FIPK GENII
Flo Pro V force muffler & 4" slash cut stainless tips
Color matched front and rear Bowties
3" polished stainless bull bar and Nerf bars
kenny-1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
poordudewhowantcar
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to poordudewhowantcar Send a message via AIM to poordudewhowantcar Send a message via Yahoo to poordudewhowantcar

well on the 02 silverado (4.8) I think i have the same prob as you. The dealer ship i need about 3 grand to have everything taken off the intake and cleaned! TOOOO MUCH IMHO
My pedral sticks as well when im at a red light i rev realy high just to go 2mph (2200-2600 rpms)
So all that has to be done is remove the plastic intake connection to the T/B? Then Clean it with the carb cleaner??
How well has this worked out?

... btw right now when i push the gas a little and i dont move i place it N eutral and rev a lil then place it back in D rive
poordudewhowantcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
rjirvine
AF Regular

I have a subscription too alldata, i'll see what serial numbers are affected by the bad throttle botty lot. I think you could probably swap it out for less than 3k!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
jethro_3
AF Enthusiast

Man, did my engine run like shiite afterwords, lots of surging etc, but no service engine soon light. I thought I may have loosened up stuff that made it's way to the chambers, and was freaking out. I put the air intake back on and it ran fine. I can't believe the intake makes that much difference. QUOTE]

I cleaned my '01 and then tried to test it without the intake tube. It also ran like shIIt. As soon as the intake tube was put on it has run perfect. As soon as everything was back together it has ran perfect since. There are different aftermarket MAF sensors and different intake tubes meant to gain MPG. You do have other choices.

Lesson learned::: The MAF sensor will give bad signal with no air flow across it if it is not hooked up.

"The Sleeper" '05 6.0L VHO
Cam in and
Low 14's happening at the track
Check out my Ride
jethro_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
rjirvine
AF Regular

After a road test, my throttle seems fine, not that there was too much wrong to begin with.

After doing some research, there is a TSB on the throttle body serial numbers on some years, that recommends replacement. Then there's one that shows how to plug the orifice in the throttle plate and crack the plate open a bit using a scan tool for measurement. It says you have to use a fixed orifice PCV valve if you do the mod, and then there's another TSB that says to have the PCM reprogrammed for "coking" in the throttle body.

Since mine seems ok right now, I don't think I'll do the mods as of yet.
I would try these things before I paid the 3k for the dealer to clean the intake.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Cleaned throttle body and egr tube, my two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by poordudewhowantcar
well on the 02 silverado (4.8) I think i have the same prob as you. The dealer ship i need about 3 grand to have everything taken off the intake and cleaned! TOOOO MUCH IMHO
My pedral sticks as well when im at a red light i rev realy high just to go 2mph (2200-2600 rpms)
So all that has to be done is remove the plastic intake connection to the T/B? Then Clean it with the carb cleaner??
How well has this worked out?

... btw right now when i push the gas a little and i dont move i place it N eutral and rev a lil then place it back in D rive

Here is what I did with mine: I had the sticky pedal problem. Take the intake tube loose from the throttle body. Get some carb/TB cleaner Shoot some cleaner on to a rag and scrub that crap outta there. I actually had to use a small, soft wire brush to get some of it. Wipe all of the excess cleaner and soot from the TB, reintstall the tube, you be good to go for a while. 100% problem solved, and it took less than 5 min to do!
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado