Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
tschelin
AF Newbie

1998 Durango Won't Start after Heater Core Replacement.

I just got done replacing the heater core in my 1998 Durango with a 5.2. Just so you know it was a beeeeaaach too. If you ever plan on doing this make sure you get a repair manual, otherwise you will probably run into some trouble.

However, my problem is not with the heater core, the damn thing won't start. It turns over just fine, but won't fire.

I was wondering if there is something in the computer that needs to be reset. I am thinking this is part of the problem, because it pretty much sat for a month with the battery disconnected as it was a project I was only able to do in steps because of the amount of time it takes to replace the heater core.

Does leaving the battery disconnected for a significant amount of time mess up the computer?

I did the turn the key on and off 3 times thing, but didn't see any error codes however, the check engine light is on.

The other thing I noticed is that my overhead consolse shows "E OC" in the console, which I have never seen before, does anyone know what that means?

After the 15 hours of work to replace a $37 heater core, and now it won't start is really pissing me off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tschelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
steelerguy
AF Regular

Re: 1998 Durango Won't Start after Heater Core Replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschelin
I just got done replacing the heater core in my 1998 Durango with a 5.2. Just so you know it was a beeeeaaach too. If you ever plan on doing this make sure you get a repair manual, otherwise you will probably run into some trouble.

However, my problem is not with the heater core, the damn thing won't start. It turns over just fine, but won't fire.

I was wondering if there is something in the computer that needs to be reset. I am thinking this is part of the problem, because it pretty much sat for a month with the battery disconnected as it was a project I was only able to do in steps because of the amount of time it takes to replace the heater core.

Does leaving the battery disconnected for a significant amount of time mess up the computer?

I did the turn the key on and off 3 times thing, but didn't see any error codes however, the check engine light is on.

The other thing I noticed is that my overhead consolse shows "E OC" in the console, which I have never seen before, does anyone know what that means?

After the 15 hours of work to replace a $37 heater core, and now it won't start is really pissing me off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is the dash all the way installed. Mine would not start or supply most electrical functions (during a cooling fan replacement) until the main dash mounting bolts & nuts were tightened down. Probably lost some grounding.

Was very annoying not being able to check out the fan until it was basically 90% reinstalled but it did work. The fan from Carquest works better than the original & was only $50 or so.

Don't thinks there were any obvious grounding straps but I could be wrong. I assume that it is a frame ground.

For anyone that has to do it...the dash is a nightmare.
steelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
tschelin
AF Newbie

I have everthing re-installed and as far as I can tell everything is plugged in. I am not getting any error codes in the odometer or the check engine light does not flash either.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
steelerguy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschelin
I have everthing re-installed and as far as I can tell everything is plugged in. I am not getting any error codes in the odometer or the check engine light does not flash either.
I should have read your post more closely. Sorry. If it's cranking, but just won't start, then it's not a grounding problem...I would think. But with modern cars, who can be sure?

Have you thought that maybe you have a seperate new problem unrelated to the dash. For instance, you may not be getting any fuel. When my chevy truck had the same symptom, I poured a little gas into the throttle body which made it run until that burned off. Ended up changing the fuel pump.

Not saying that you should even try this without some company & a fire extinguisher. My truck was a 1989. Much simpler technology. Also, even if it did run, there could be a relay or an switch that could be witholding the fuel supply.

If the fuel in the throttle body works, then troubleshoot from there. A Haynes manual might help you with that. Also, keep it simple & change the fuel filter that might be the original & could be clogged.

Hope that I'm not leading you towards chasing zebras when the horse just needs a new shoe. Good luck & let us know what you find.
steelerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
tschelin
AF Newbie

Did some testing last night and found that I am not getting any spark to the plugs. Traced back to the coil and the coil is not getting the 12Volts it is supposed to from the ignition. The manual said to check the Automatic Shutdown Relay, which I did and it works fine. I did find that my delay on my windshield wipers is not working either. I am guessing that something is disconnected somewhere, but just can't figure out where. I checked all the other electrical stuff and it works fine.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango