Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #46
poohbah61
AF Newbie

Re: Saturn SL2 won't start-not the starter

I plugged it back in.
poohbah61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #47
Roky2869
AF Newbie

Hello all,
Was reading everything because my 2001 SL2 started having the same issue on Wednesday. Stopped for a few minutes to pick up my students and bam! My students father gave me a jump and off I went. Thought it was just the battery but for the next few days I had no problem until yesterday, Sunday, called AAA go a jump and we were good to go until right now!!! Dead. Lights are dim and there is very little juice but still have some. Please help!!! We are starving students who teach kids gymnastics and martial arts for a living. So money is all but limited. Thank you.
Roky2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #48
poohbah61
AF Newbie

That sounds more like a battery connection or a bad alternator. More like the alternator.
poohbah61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #49
chiefpmd
AF Newbie

Alright, I hope this helps out. My neighbor's 97 SL2 had the same problem. I checked for power to the starter relay under the dash when the key was turned to start. Nothing. The ignition switch is fed power from the IGN 3 fuse in the under hood fuse box. When I was taking the cover off the headlights flickered on and off. I found one of the two bolts holding the fuse box together was very loose. Tightened it up and the problem was fixed.
chiefpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #50
Deland
AF Newbie

Im having a similar problem.I just replaced an aftermarket headunit in my neighbors 97 LS with another aftermarket headunit.Then the car wouldn't start no click or anything.The previous person who installed the radio chopped off the factory harness and hardwired the radio so i just cut the 12v constant,trigger,ground and speaker leads and wired in the new radio's harness to those.
So after getting no starter response or headunit power I tested the 12v constant it had no power but good fuse,then tested 12v trigger w/key on it has power so I joined them together(12v constant and trigger).Now the headunit works and the starter is turning over once but not cranking long enough to start the car.Any suggestions?
Deland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #51
pwilli65
AF Newbie

Well we had the same problem with the car got parked and when we came out to start it, nothing read the post on the one who wiggled the wiring harness on the driver side just in front of the shifter down by the gas pedal . That was it!!! Turn your ignition to on position and with the door open you should hear the warning bell, if not removed the plastic panel that covers the wire harness and move wires around till the warning for door open bell comes on. Start car and thats it. I used a sealer and electrical tape to secure it.
pwilli65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #52
b1957r
AF Newbie

Got a 97 saturn sc2, went to start nothing, no sound when key was turned. Had no interior lights, no power windows, no power door locks, and no door chimes. Had lights on dash and radio, still nothing. Went to passenger side fuse panel, popped it off and looked on back of panel, took out the one that is a 10 amp fuse marked body and replaced the new fuse and lord and behold it cranked! Hope this will work for some of yall that are having the same problem. .89 cent 10 amp fuse, and my car started! Was so glad I hadn't replaced everything under the hood before we found this one small thing.
b1957r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #53
Brother John
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Saturn SL2 won't start-not the starter

Here's my adventure so far:

This is a '98 SC2 with a 5 speed and a quarter million on it. Last year, the car began to leave me sit. A code reader kept giving me 340s and 341s - camshaft position sensor. Long story short: if you've dealt with this, you know you'll probably wind up replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

So it's been replaced ....twice, most recently two weeks ago. Since then, the light's been intermittently on and off with the same code every time. Today, when I turned it off, it would not restart. No power loss anywhere - I can hear the pump pressurizing, I can hear the clutch switch click when I press it in ...just no noise when I try to start it.

Finally, five hours later, we get it running by pushing it and popping the clutch in second gear. I drive it home, park it, and walk away. An hour later, it starts right up with the key.

Color me baffled.
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #54
kwirob
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Saturn SL2 won't start-not the starter

just thought i would chime in bout 2 months ago i had this same problem it was my starter relay switch under dash this was a 1999 sl2 with almost 100,000 then last week starter went out replaced it evrey thing is good now yall have been a big help tanks
kwirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #55
mrholshot
AF Newbie

I just picked up a 1997 Saturn SC2 with 143k miles on it. The car is an automatic. The only way the starter will crank is if you hold the LOCK button while you have the key turned to start position. I was told this was a kill switch wired up by someone but don't really believe that. It has an aftermarket radio installed in it that will not power up unless the same LOCK button is pushed. As soon as you let off the lock button the radio shuts off. I had to jump this car at the auction to get it home. I put it on the charger for an hour and the car started everytime by hitting the LOCK button. A customer drove it today and it ran out of gas. I put gas in it and it started but he stalled it because it has a hesitation problem. Would not restart even with jumping it. Came back 20 mins later and the car started. Got it home and would not restart. Put it on the charger and still would not crank, just a clicking under the hood. The alternator is charging, the battery is less than a year old. Not thinking the starter is the issue and don't want to replace it for nothing. I try wiggling the shifter but nothing happens. I can't open up the link for the "thingamabob" so I don't know where to mess with that at. I am going to start checking things in the post but would like to get some input also since the LOCK button has added a new aspect to this problem.
mrholshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #56
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Is the LOCK button you mention the one on the driver's door that locks the doors, or is it the lock button on the 'dongle fob' for locking/unlocking the car?

My daughter's 98 SL2 would refuse to start and a new starter didnt fix it. I wired up a push-button on the dash (down low by driver's left knee) that connected 12 volts directly to the solenoid on the top of the starter. For about a year she used that; turning the ignition switch to "on" then pushing the button. The car always started & ran. Many months later I happened to see that the dome light wasnt working, and I found a blown fuse in the panel on the right side of the console. With a new fuse in there, the starter would now work from the ignition key again.
So my advice is to check every fuse inside the car.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #57
mrholshot
AF Newbie

It is either of the lock or unlock buttons on either door. I ordered a new starter from DB electric so I hope it will fix it. I believe the starter is getting actuated but I think its probably getting bad. If I have to I will wire up a button like you did. How di you do it exactly?
mrholshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #58
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Starter Override Switch....
I got a momentary pushbutton type switch, a fairly large one, since the solenoid on the starter actually takes several amps. I might have gotten the switch at a good hardware store, or some electronics store or from ebay; I cant recall. The switch has to be the kind that is "normally open", that is its only closed when you are holding the button depressed. The switch has two wires coming to it. I ran a wire (about a 14 or 12 awg stranded wire) from the small terminal on the solenoid that sits atop the starter, across behind the engine and in through the grommet that is close to the brake vacuum booster - about at the 2.m. position. I actually ran a few wires at the same time, but I only needed one for my starter 'over-ride'. I got the 12 volt supply I wanted by splicing into the wire to the cigarette lighters - which is easiest to do working from the driver's side of the console. Since the lighter is only powered when the ignition/accessories are on, the switch wont do anything if you push on it when the ignition is shut off. There is a small nut on that small terminal on the starter, and unscrewing it, putting my extra wire on it, and getting the nut snugged back down again took a few minutes. The small nut might be an 8mm, (or 5/16th inch), or it might be a 10mm I cant recall. The switch was a lifesaver for us, but there is a danger to it. It bypasses the "wont start unless transmission is in park or neutral" function of the range-sensor. So if you have the shift lever in Drive, the ignition on but the engine not running....then pushing that switch will launch the car. Very bad when you want to carefully back-out of a parking space at Walmart.'

Now I need to add a different switch to my 95 SL2, for the same reason I had to add one to my daughter's 98SL2. The wipers would start to work when the ignition was switched on, even though they were in the off position; and sometimes they would not stop when they wanted to shut the wipers down after a rain. My switch just cut off the power to the wiper motor. It also stopped them wherever they were - so you had to twitch the switch to get the wipers to the 'parked' position.

Something you might try with the door lock and unlock switches:
There are two relays in the upper-rear corner of the fuse box on the passenger side of the console. These have to do with the door locking/unlocking. With my 96SL1 I had one of them that would periodically go nuts ---- and either make the locks chatter, or drain the battery overnight. A couple of times the car locked me out when I just shut the door normally! I yanked out the two relays, and the misbehavior stopped. I had individually to lock/unlock the doors, but since I seldom had passengers when I used that car, it wasnt much of a sacrifice.

The only thing an SL2 has that I want on my SL1 is the cruise control.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #59
maxdorries
AF Newbie

I just had the same problem with my 2000 Saturn sl2 all I had to do was push this rectangular black button in a black box with wires coming out up under the clutch pedal and it started right up
maxdorries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #60
selt392
AF Newbie

Can anyone tell me why not to cut the purple wire and the white wire to the clutch interlock switch and splice them together. I have never known of nor heard of anyone being injured because they accidently tried to start a car in gear. This would remove that switch from the "won't start" troubleshooting. Plus in an emergency the car can be kick started in gear.
selt392 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW