Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #31
No crank mcgee
AF Newbie

Re: Saturn SL2 won't start-not the starter

First off thanks to everyone who has been posting, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem... It's driving me crazy. I drive a 2001 Saturn sl1 and it randomly decides not to starts/ crank, but radio, lights, etc all work fine. I know nothing about cars but I feel as if it has to be an electrical/ connection problem with the starter. Hope someone figures this bullshit out.
No crank mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #32
No crank mcgee
AF Newbie

Ok so I posted that last post while outside jiffy lube. I couldn't get my car to start for a good hour. The mechanic here tried something out, he tapped the starter motor while I turned the key and at first nothing but then it started right up. He told me that it is probably either the solinoid or the starter motor. Supposedly it isn't too expensive either which is good to hear. Let me know what you guys think about the starter motor or solinoid. I hope so so I can fix it and be done. Hope this helps.
No crank mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
RC1488
AF Enthusiast

Yupp bad starter.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #34
dawitoftherocks
AF Newbie

My problem is almost identical to stang_2003, although i have a manual tranny. I have a '95 sl2 and I have the same issue with the car starting some days and not starting on others. If I let the car rest for a few hours, it will start, but if I drive somewhere and park for only 30 minutes or so, it won't start. It's like clockwork. I can jump the clutch and it starts fine. Battery is brand new, i'm wondering if the problem is the PND switch. The car does burn oil and I'm wondering if an oil leak is messing up a connection somewhere, although I don't see any evidence of a leak.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but all this talk of PCM, canister purge solenoids and "thingamabobs" has really got me confused. Any suggestions?
dawitoftherocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #35
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

That your Saturn SL series sedan burns oil means it is normal. They mostly all do it, because the oil control rings on the pistons arent the best. The only fix is to pull the motor, take out the pistons, and put new rings on. So its much easier to just keep checking the oil, even if you were to do the work yourself. They arent hard to rebuild though, if you decide to do it yourself.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #36
stang_2003
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawitoftherocks View Post
My problem is almost identical to stang_2003, although i have a manual tranny. I have a '95 sl2 and I have the same issue with the car starting some days and not starting on others. If I let the car rest for a few hours, it will start, but if I drive somewhere and park for only 30 minutes or so, it won't start. It's like clockwork. I can jump the clutch and it starts fine. Battery is brand new, i'm wondering if the problem is the PND switch. The car does burn oil and I'm wondering if an oil leak is messing up a connection somewhere, although I don't see any evidence of a leak.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but all this talk of PCM, canister purge solenoids and "thingamabobs" has really got me confused. Any suggestions?
Just saw this (we sold the Saturn) but to update, the problem turned out to be a defective starter and then another defective starter with the exact same problem.

Installed the second replacement and never had the problem again.

HTH
stang_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #37
Larry s60home
AF Newbie

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 with similar symptoms to those above. I went thru all the standard tests and trouble shooting. All these are good places to start, and are the source of many problems. But not mine.

I searched the internet and actually found the problem. It was very unusual and unconventional. But I'll bet it's the problem for some of you.

Remove the front driver's trim panel next to the gas pedal. (It's opposite the fuse panel on the passenger side, and opens the exact same way). Next, wiggle the wires coming out the back of the fuse panel that you just provided access to at the SAME TIME as you try to start the car. In my case, it was the front bundle of wires (There are two main bundles of wires). My car started. I was amazed.

There appears to be a problem with burning a terminal on this fuse box. Hope this works for you. It was the end of a long journey for me.

I haven't actually fixed it yet, but at least I know WHAT to fix. I've driven my car since then, and it has failed, and I've gotten it to start at least a dozen times without fail. I know I'm pushing my luck, and better permanently fix it soon.
Larry s60home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #38
mcCharlie
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Saturn SL2 won't start-not the starter

Larry s60home...THANK YOU! Yes, like you I have been searching for this for many hours. Thanks again for sharing you find.

Chuck
mcCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #39
becky96
AF Newbie

i usually can not be bothered with a blog but i think my car's story might help. 97 auto sc2. Sat for a year before I bought it replaced battery 3 months later kept having to jump start. I did a simple alternator test disconnected battery while running to see if it would die nope stayed stayed running. Did a "real" alternator test it was bad. replaced it 3 weeks later i discovered my new alternator was badly rebuilt and replaced it again. Next day car won't start kept charging would disconnect battery ground and test voltage it tried to come up from the 6 volts it stayed at connected so battery was good. So that tells me wire behind alternator is bad or my car has a polterguiest. Or I have a parasitic drain (like when your battery dies cause you leave your lights on) somethings pulling power all the time when turned off. How you test for this is Take keys out of ignition. disconnect ground from battery clip a test light to the post and stick light end into the battery cable where it connects to the battery if the light comes on you have a drain somewhere. Next (LEAVE KEYS OUT OF IGNITION) and pull fuses and relays one at a time one box is under the hood and another in my car is on passenger side where left leg would be when the light turns off that's the circuit your drain is coming from sometimes it flickers use your own judgement on this on my car the sensor in the trunk that says it's open was broken light in trunk that's burnt out never turned off...lol disabled the sensor because that fuse is attached to the "body" and is also related to my electric windows and locks "wonderful" huh...so i couldn't just pull it. and then next my cars alarm that never sounds and I thought was broken decided I was trying to steal it and disabled my starter . That was fun to figure out battery volt tests at 13 all lights come on and no crank. So test alarm and reset before you buy a new starter after wiggling wires .... in my car how you reset the alarm is open your door with key turn car to on /or accessorie (just enough to turn the radio on) turn car off pull key out close door leave it UNlocked and wait 30 minutes .... Should be in your manual.... This is just a little of the problems I've had with this little black beast... Oh and now it starts right up but the radio has disabled itself because it thought I was trying to steal it too.. I'm not getting paid to fix this it's mine so i'll read how to reset that bugger later.. hoped I helped or gave you an option you have not thought of for investigation.
becky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #40
JustinNeedsHelp
AF Newbie

Saturn SL1 won't start

I have the same problems as other users have described. My 1999 Saturn SL1 will not start or even attempt to turn over. Lights, Ignition sounds (When key is inserted) all seems to be normal. I have a new battery and alternator installed. I checked cables for corrosion but have not located any corroded wiring. Any ideas?
JustinNeedsHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #41
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

My daughter's 1998 wouldnt start one day. The starter was silent. It was sudden. The starter had given no trouble at all - then wouldnt make any noise at all. I replaced the starter, which didnt seem to be dead when I tested it outside the car. To help my daughter (with her newborn son), I added a wire from the small terminal on the starter, long enough to reach up to the positive terminal on the battery. If the car would refuse to start again, she could leave the ignition on, open the hood, and touch that wire to the battery "+" terminal - and the car would be cranked over, even if the complex electronics of the PCM and neutral safety switch, etc. were not co-operating.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #42
becky96
AF Newbie

To everybody well if it won't start and not the starter here's 2 new options. First if it drains the battery slowly after you've disconnected the battery changed an alternator ect.... or is just acting like the starters not grounded. Their is an alarm box under your rear passenger backseat above the fender well. It's a base to an alarm and has 3 relays in there and one grounds your starter I recommend finding someone to test it and wire around it cause it's a pain and I can't explain how to do it with out getting into your car. I had this problem with sc2's. and I also located 2 parasitic drains. to find the circuit that's the problem disconnect neg battery cable clip a test light to post of battery light end into cable if it lights up somethings pulling make sure doors are closed lights off ect. Start pulling fuses one by one when light shuts off that's your circuit that drains your battery. Pull fuses from box under hood and one by your legs in front of car. Have fun
becky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #43
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Becky96: Thanks for the info. I will be looking for the alarm box with relays in it. We would like to bypass the car's security features permanently, since I dont worry about a Saturn S series car being stolen anymore. Since the last time I posted in this thread, I have heard several folks having the intermittent no-start problem, and not having success fixing it with a new starter. So I kind of think its in the car's -other- electronics somewhere.

I would be glad to get the Saturn manuals, but the few times they show up on ebay, they carry high prices, or are not a complete set having the wiring in them.

ledautolamp: Do they have Saturn S series cars in Guangzhou?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #44
poohbah61
AF Newbie

I just want to add a little help for someone with the same issue. I have a 99 SL2 with the same type of problem. After changing the ignition then starter to no avail and right before giving up, I traced the problem to the security module behind the rear passenger seat. I unplugged the security module and connected the two toned yellow/black wire to the black wire right across from it on the plug. Both wires were the 5th ones down and right across from each other. This fixed the problem and the car now starts right up.
poohbah61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #45
ws4man
AF Newbie

After you connected the Yellow/Black wire and the solid Black across from it, did you leave the plug out?
ws4man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW