Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 12:17 AM   #1
fo-kem
AF Newbie

cold start & idle problem

Hello:
This is my first thread the this forum.

Experts, i have a 1996 gdi galant (manual transmission). Whenever the engine is cold and i make an attempt to start it, it starts and runs for one second then shuts back down. On the second attempt it starts and goes up to 2000rpm to bring temp up to operating value.(thats ok with me). when i am moving off i have to very very slowly depress the gas pedal then shift into 1st geat after 1000rpm. if i depress the gas pedal at rpm less than 1000rpm the car will shut down. it idles at 750rpm. i thy to adjust the idle to 1000rpm by adjusting that 'screw" anticlockwise. After driving for a while, the idle just returns to 750rpm. Needless to say, if i turn the a/c on at idle speed the car shuts down.
I have done the necessary basic tune up. New gas filter, plugs, oil/filter change, etc.
fo-kem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
fo-kem
AF Newbie

Moderators, Experts, could advanced/retarded timing be the cause? I need help!!!
Also, any link on the 1996 GDI galant's electrical wiring diagram?

Last edited by fo-kem; 06-27-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:20 PM   #3
mega
AF Newbie

Re: cold start & idle problem

check out legnum fuel econ thread, may be interesting reading
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 AM   #4
merkinball
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to merkinball

Same Problem w/ my 1990 Galant Super Saloon. Need help here guys! Adjusted the idle but it intermittently drops below 800rpm...
also when normally running and slowing down on Humps, the engine just stops...
merkinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
tomnz
AF Newbie

I have a mitsubishi galant 1989, it had eratic idle and the engine threatened to stop, stumbled. It had a computer problem....go to a auto electronics guy....not an auto electrician.
tomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #6
fo-kem
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnz
I have a mitsubishi galant 1989, it had eratic idle and the engine threatened to stop, stumbled. It had a computer problem....go to a auto electronics guy....not an auto electrician.
I guess i have to try a computer from another car and see what happens.
Do you recall what the auto electronics guy did? Did he change or repair the computer? Was the computer damaged when he checked it, etc?

One mechanic told me that the gdi has two fuel pumps:one in the gas tank and the other is in the engine. He says that the fuel pump in the engine carries filters and if these filters are dirty, then they will cause idle and cold start problems. is this possible?

Mega, you told me to "check out legnum fuel econ thread, may be interesting reading". I don't understand what to do. i typed in "legnum fuel econ" in search and cane up with nothing.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
tomnz
AF Newbie

A dirty fuel filter can be a problem but that will also be a problem during driving as enough fuel won't be coming in and the car will want to stall and probably will install somtimes.

I just had a brief conservation with the electronics guy and he said just wear and tair..........I think it could have been some loose wires or dry-joints on the PCB board. If you know something about electronics thanonly you should try to fix it yourself, because you could cause damage by static charge. Also its advisable not to drive the car if it might have an electronics problem because it can kill the computer..... expensive to get a new one.
tomnz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant