Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm
`97 Grand Prix GT Noisy steering pump

Hello guys once again it's me... I changed the steering pump about a year and a half ago with a remanufactured pump; before the change there was no whining sound but it was hard to steer and sometimes there would be a humming noise while steering the car wich is why I chose to change the pump. After the change there's a whining noise coming out from the steering pump all the time wich will become more noticeable as the RPM's go up; I've tried two different pumps (a brand new Delco and the remanufactured wich is currently installed) and the result is the same, sometimes the steering is very soft, come others will be a bit harder to steer and there will be again a humming sound. I'm pretty sure I bled the air out of the system correctly.

Besides the steering pump, what else could be causing these problems?.

Best regards and thanks everyone for your help...

P.S As you can see from my other posts my car has been giving me lots of headaches; hopefully and with your help this should end very soon.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
Re: `97 Grand Prix GT Noisy steering pump

Huh, I've been chacing a whine around in circles on mine for the past year or so. I just finally gave up, it was getting expensive. My whine is not very noticable, but I can notice it. Its only audible at idle when RPM's are below 1000. Once the RPM's go up, the whine is gone (so its completly opposite of yours). Mine has a new rack, rebuilt from ac-delco, a new pump (3 new pumps actually, whines with all 3), and both new AC-delco PS lines. My fluid stays full and is not being aerated so I am not too super worried about it.

You can check the fluid, make sure its full, and then with the car at idle, if its getting bubbles in it, you have a leak somewhere.

5000'th post!!!

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
GTP Version 2.0
AF Regular

Yeah, the only suggestion I can make is to go to Autozone and buy one of there's. Why the hell would you want to do that you ask? Because they have a lifetime warranty on the reman pumps. I've replaced mine twice already. The factory pumps are the best but there is no way I'm paying $200 each time around with my local dealership. I have the same intermittent problem as tblake. Sometimes the steering is great. Other times it feels like an old clunker with flat tires.

Is there any big difference between PS fluids?
GTP Version 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post
Huh, I've been chacing a whine around in circles on mine for the past year or so. I just finally gave up, it was getting expensive. My whine is not very noticable, but I can notice it. Its only audible at idle when RPM's are below 1000. Once the RPM's go up, the whine is gone (so its completly opposite of yours). Mine has a new rack, rebuilt from ac-delco, a new pump (3 new pumps actually, whines with all 3), and both new AC-delco PS lines. My fluid stays full and is not being aerated so I am not too super worried about it.

You can check the fluid, make sure its full, and then with the car at idle, if its getting bubbles in it, you have a leak somewhere.

5000'th post!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Version 2.0 View Post
Yeah, the only suggestion I can make is to go to Autozone and buy one of there's. Why the hell would you want to do that you ask? Because they have a lifetime warranty on the reman pumps. I've replaced mine twice already. The factory pumps are the best but there is no way I'm paying $200 each time around with my local dealership. I have the same intermittent problem as tblake. Sometimes the steering is great. Other times it feels like an old clunker with flat tires.

Is there any big difference between PS fluids?
Yeah, I know it sucks. Now that you mention it I had the rack rebuilt two years ago because I had some oil leaking out of the system. My problem is also interminttent also as you guys mentioned the steering will some times be as soft as butter, some others I'll need huge biceps just to turn the wheel. The reman pump I've got was form autozone, unfortunately here in Mexico they don't have a lifetime warranty, they will only offer a 3 months full warranty, that sucks but is much better than any other parts store...

Well having read and said that, I guess I'll just let it be... Thanks for you help guys.

Congrats on your +5000 posts tblake, that's a huge effort!
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
humming , pump , sound , steering , whining
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix