Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
Spinman
AF Newbie

(How To) Replace Front Struts ('96) ???

Did a quick search of prior posts, but did not see anything specific to my question. I'm in need of replacing my front struts and wonder if this is something I can do myself. I took a look at the assembly when I had a tire off and it looks as if the struts are integral with the front springs.

Do I need to compress the springs inorder to remove the struts (it looks as if the lower spring plate is integral to the strut assembly)?

Do I need to support the control arm and rotor assembly when removing the struts?

Will replacing the struts cause my alignment to change? If so, I don't want to do it until I'm closer to new tires and alignment...

Is there an easy way to tell when they need replacing other than mileage? I see no leaks, but the ride is not as firm as it was when new (now @ 100k)....

If anyone has done this before, I appreciate any hints, tips and / or advice.

Thanks -
Spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #2
TSLDave
AF Newbie

Do I need to compress the springs inorder to remove the struts (it looks as if the lower spring plate is integral to the strut assembly)?

Yes, the springs must be compressed to remove the upper mounting plate from the strut

Do I need to support the control arm and rotor assembly when removing the struts?

Yes, again. The struts are an integral part of the front suspension, unlike shocks which provide damping only

Will replacing the struts cause my alignment to change? If so, I don't want to do it until I'm closer to new tires and alignment...

Differences in the angle of the mounting plate will require alignment.
You may be able to get it "close" by measuring the distance between the tires at the front and rear before and after replacing and adjusting at the tie rods until its time for tires.

Is there an easy way to tell when they need replacing other than mileage? I see no leaks, but the ride is not as firm as it was when new (now @ 100k)....

Struts nowadays "should" last the life of the vehicle (200,000 mi +). It may be the bushings that are wearing, not the struts. Worn tires will also give a sloppier ride. The only way to tell without removing them is to bounce the vehicle at the strut. It should not bounce at all once you stop applying movement.

If anyone has done this before, I appreciate any hints, tips and / or advice.

By the time you get a spring compressor, ball joint and tie rod removal tools (you can rent them, usually for free, tho'), you may find it cheaper to have it done by a shop. Get some quotes. Thers a lot of difference in strut prices between Original equipment and aftermarket. If a stiffer ride is what you want, don't get OE struts
TSLDave is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora