Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Porsche 3.2 Speedster Club Sport

Next up the Porsche 911 Carerra 3.2 Speedster Club Sport (aka Study). Porsche created its first Speedster on the 356 chassis, but after years of absence Porsche created the stripped down open top variant based on the 911.

In 1987 the Speedster was presented as the new concept car on the Frankfurt Motorshow. And it is exactly that version I'll be recreating. Later when the model was punt into production the radical top was replaced with a steep angled shortened front windshield and the double bubble rear cover. The rest of the car was just a regular Carrera 3.2, but now reduced to a 2-seater.

I received this kit from a friend, that did a small start. Because I want to start from scratch, I will detach all parts first.

As mentioned, I'll start detaching all parts. I've already spotted the brakes need replacing as they look like <beep>.
The mold lines on the body aren't too bad and can be simply sanded clean. Panel lines are sharp and deep enough, so just some minor scribing needed. Fitment on some parts is a bit off, unfortunately.

This is the engine cover. It just will not fit. An easy fix, but I'm not used to this from Fujimi.

Also other parts need some attention.

Here are some reference pictures and the Porsche color perlmutweiss that I ordered from ZeroPaints.

Source: https://www.4legend.com/2017/porsche...tudie-de-1987/

For those interested, here is a nice video on this car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7FZRLdyP7g

So... back to the brakes. I did design some discs previously, but they are just too big and perforated. So I quickly desined some new ones.

I'm going to use the small brake callipers (white metal) on the rears as the front will use the slightly bigger ones.

I was not planning to change a whole lot on this model, but that white blob resembling the engine just needs to go. I've purchased 3D design of a flat six. It isn't as correct as I need it to be, but good enough for this model. But I did change a few bits to make the engine more correct.

The picture already shows some white pieces that I changed on the printed engine. And I've added the starter unit from scratch. I think I will 3D design a true Porsche engine, but not for this model. I will finish this one first.
Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathtrap For This Useful Post:
mrgixxer (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 05:43 AM   #2
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 3.2 Speedster Club Sport

I've designed a simple 2 piston brake caliper that fits the disc.

Now it is time to start getting that engine assembled and fitted.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:32 AM   #3
potsie
AF Enthusiast

I have always been interested in this kit, so will be watching your progress keenly.
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:00 AM   #4
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Well it is an old kit and therefor simple and sometimes poor in details. Ik think you should be able to get this kit quite cheap and it will make for a good basis to have some fun scratch building, detailing or whatever you want to practice. I also have the Enthusiast kit of the Speedster. I will be building that one as well at some point. And I'm sure I will try to level that one up even further.

On this episode...
The exhaust and rear suspension have received some much needed attention. The exhaust if surrounded by trims. They do need to be there, but a bit less prominent. So I'm shaving those of to create my own trim.

The heat exchangers on the exhaust were connected by a tube. That is incorrect as that tube needs to go underneath it towards the muffler.

On the suspension, I just didn't like that. The brakes where already glued by the previous owner, so I cut those off. Then I started adjusting one side to be a bit better resemblance and a nice attachment point for the new brakes I've printed. It needs a bit more cleaning up and then I will copy it to the other side.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:39 AM   #5
Deathtrap
AF Regular

A bit of thinkering with the rear suspension and shocks this morning before starting work.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #6
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Testing the parts for the rear and front suspension before I start painting. So far I'm very pleased with fitment.

And some Porsche owners and experts helped me with the rear seats, or absence of... What is semi visible is the folded soft top, so I need to create something for that.
Also the part of the cover plate is extending a bit behind the rear seat. I glued a bit of styrene to the back. It needs to be trimmed a bit and requires a little bit of filler.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:14 AM   #7
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I'm not sure how the weather is across the globe, but here in the Netherlands it has been very hot for weeks. Nice if you want to have a cold beer and a BBQ, but not the best weather for airbrushing. :mrgreen:
But I'm trying to keep some progress...

Starting out with some primer. I instantly noticed it was drying rather quick, making it feel quite coarse to the touch. But after a very light wet sanding it turned out okay.
As I'm expecting the White Pearl to be somewhat transparent, I want to give the model a white basecoat. Although less than with the primer, it still had that grainy feeling. So I will need to lightly sand that as well

I hope we will see a bit of a cooler day soon, so I can apply the pearl and gloss coat.
fafnir (06-16-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 03:54 AM   #8
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The Speedster has been painted pearl white. The color went on very well, but I just can't get it to show on the pictures all that well.

Even after the Zero Paints 2K gloss coat. But the car is now nice and shiny and can cure for a few days, before I will start polishing it.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:08 PM   #9
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

I'm not a big Porsche guy so I've only known this car from the Fujimi kit and always assumed it was silver. White is so much better. I am impressed with how Fujimi modled the "glass" so that it does in fact fit flush to the cover. Nailing that will go a long way to selling the look of the model.

Great stuff with the detail up on the engine, brakes and suspension. What's the plan for the folded convertible top? I would probably just fold some vinyl in half and call it good. Can't wait to see more.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willimo For This Useful Post:
Deathtrap (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 01:44 AM   #10
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Well the plan is to start over with the paint I messed it up.
I knew the pearl white needed a white basecoat, which I applied. I received 2 bottles of paint from Zero Paints, both having the exact same label stating the Pearl White paint code.
So I took my own white paint, applied that and then used the color matched paint. But it wasn't the pearl shine I was expecting, but I figured I needed a gloss coat for that.

When that was all done and ready for polishing, by accident I discovered the the other pot of paint actually had the real pearl in it.

So I'm stripping the paint off, to redo it.

I'll have another look after work, but I think by then I can rinse and clean de parts for primer and paint again.

For that convertible top, I'm going to try Milliput. A 2 component putty that I can roll out very thin and then fold it into shape. I had some tips to use chalk powder so it sticks less and will end up with a cloth like look.

The rest of the interior wasn't up to my liking either. The door panels are too flat and I've cut them out. The replacements will have more depth so I can create some real arm rests and other details. I can't do that now as there isn't enough room because of the seats. And from the picture below you can see I've removed the molded in pedals and center console. I've found some nice replacement pedals and the center console will be scratch build to reflect the correct one.

This is how the hand brake/center console needs to look like

The shifter (left) looks like a left over blob of plastic. I'm using the right one with some putty to create a better looking one.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #11
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The brake fluid did its job. It isn't a miracle solution, as you still need to scrub the paint and use a toothpick in the tight spots. But it was the only thing that broke down the 2K clear coat.
Afterwards I used some soapy water to rinse the body and again after drying I spotted some paint rests. Finally, after a some light wet sanding the body was back in shape.

Time for a new coat of primer.

Next up, that base coat. It still looks a bit pearl... and it is a strange off white. It went on very well, not specs of dust what so ever.

I gave it a couple of hours drying time, before applying the pearl. There seems to be hardly any color in the pearl coat, just the flakes.
It is still very hard to grab the shine on the picture, but I think you should be able to see it now.

I'm gonna give this a day or two of drying time, before sealing it again with the clear.
mrgixxer (06-27-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 01:31 AM   #12
Deathtrap
AF Regular

This morning I applied the gloss to all body colored parts. Ever since I've bought this spray booth, I seem to have close to no specs of dust in my paint. I'd never figured that made such a difference.

I'm going to leave these bits to cure and continue the work on the door panels.
Old 06-29-2023, 04:37 AM   #13
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Those simplified door panels are not cutting it for me. So I started replacing them with scratch build ones. Not perfect, but at least an improvement.

Old 06-30-2023, 04:44 PM   #14
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I finished the door panels. Now it's time to finish that center console before gluing it all back together.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:15 AM   #15
Deathtrap
AF Regular

The past few days perhaps were less interesting when it comes to updates, but they are part of scale modeling steps anyway.
I've glued in the new door panels, placed the seats for a dry-fit and yes... I'm trying to recreate the piping on the leather seats using thin copper wire. It looks quite prominent now because of the color. That should fade once it is painted.

Then I gave all remaining parts a thin coat of primer

Followed by semi or full gloss respectively for some of the parts. The gloss black will function as a basecoat for the metal paints.

Goof: Yes... I did paint the windshield wipers, only to realize this car doesn't have any

Some of the interior parts will be painted in an off white color. That remains to be done in the next few days.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street