Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Probe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Skyblue89gt
AF Newbie

89 gt front seal leak

I am about to try and replace the front seal on my 89 gt. I would like to hear from someone that has done it before. What can go horribly wrong? Should I replace the oil pump? Is there anything else I should do while I am there?
Skyblue89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 89 gt front seal leak

How many miles? Had it since new or buy it used? (to establish service history)

In general with something that old, I would plan on replacing whatever is there. Oil pump, water pump etc.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan View Post
How many miles? Had it since new or buy it used? (to establish service history)

In general with something that old, I would plan on replacing whatever is there. Oil pump, water pump etc.
In general if replacing the oil pump it should have a new front seal already in place so that would save one small part, but would add a lot of extra tear down.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:55 AM   #4
Skyblue89gt
AF Newbie

This looks a little better.

The engine is 2.2L 4 Cylinder Turbo. I purchased it from a neighbor that bought it from the original owner years earlier. It has always been in San Diego. I have been told the odometer is the correct mileage at 78,000. There is no 100,000 digit so I will take that on faith.

The service I have done:

I made new bushings for the gear shifter.

Replace leaking anti-lock brake manifold purchased on craigslist. $40 lucky find. Replaced Alternator twice (It needs a third one now) The seal leak is coating the alternator with oil and killing it.

Replaced Water Pump, Timing belt and idler, valve cover and oil pan gaskets. I needed to replace the timing belt due to miles. I knew oil was leaking from the valve cover gaskets and thought it was also coming from the oil pan. It was the front seal; I didn’t recognize that until it was back on the road.

It needs the rear rotors replaced. I ordered them before I realized the rear brakes on this car are somehow bastardized drum brakes turned into disc. Wheel bearings need to be replaced with the rotors. That one makes me a little nervous too so I have not done it yet.

It has been a fun car to drive. My wife uses it he most. The air conditioner quit working but my wife never used it so I don’t know when that happened. I tried to put some R134 in it That was left over from another car and it has a massive leak somewhere that I did not pursue.

It also has an intermittent power steering assist. I have been reading about that and will try the valve on the rack. I had this in for repair and they replaced the PS pump twice and told me to come get it and never bring it back. I guess they didn’t know about the computer control.

The one real concern I have about the oil pump is priming. From what I have seen on you tube, the pump must be primed. I have a maintenance manual that makes no mention of priming the oil pump. I do understand that if there is no oil in the pump, it will take time for it to start feeding oil to the motor. I don’t know how much time or if it will damage this old motor in that time. I guess to prime it I have to pressurize a tank of oil and shoot it through the engine somehow.

I just realized what Stealthee is saying about the pump. I assumed I had to take the pump off to replace the seal. I was questioning replacing the pump because it may unnecessary and anything I buy is likely Chinese crap that will cause more harm than good. If I can replace the seal without removing the pump it would be a whole lot easier. I can hold onto the pump I purchased until it is needed.

Sorry I have such a late response. I forgot I joined the forum until the oil pump came today. It will be a few days before I can take the time to start tearing this thing apart.

Thanks

Last edited by Skyblue89gt; 09-04-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Format
Old 09-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

The 2.2 turbo was very reliable...as you've noticed the big problem is sourcing parts.

Sounds like a great ongoing project.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
Skyblue89gt
AF Newbie

I had a terrible time with the oil pan gasket until I replaced the bolts with studs. Lining up the stiffener with the pan was difficult.

Any thoughts on just replacing the seal?

What do you know about priming an oil pump?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Probe