Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Did you correct the trouble codes yet?
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Yup, trouble codes clear, no new ones and problem still exists.

The absolute last thing I want to do is start messing with the carb, but there really isn't anything else to check, replace, clean or repair.....
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)

Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
The absolute last thing I want to do is start messing with the carb, but there really isn't anything else to check, replace, clean or repair.....
If you don't know when the last time the carb was rebuilt, it is probably time..

It made a world of difference when I had mine done.




.
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: EVERETT, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
Yup, trouble codes clear, no new ones and problem still exists.

The absolute last thing I want to do is start messing with the carb, but there really isn't anything else to check, replace, clean or repair.....
what about the EGR replacement ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt2Lst View Post
If you don't know when the last time the carb was rebuilt, it is probably time..

It made a world of difference when I had mine done.




.

What doesn't make sense is that there would be a carb problem after the car overheated.

And the carb has never been done. When you rebuilt yours, did you buy a re-manufactured carb, or use a carb kit in the original?
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)


Last edited by Filmfest Guy; 10-26-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added more info
Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
what about the EGR replacement ?

The EGR has been replaced, and there was no difference in the "chuggle" problem.

I cannot express how frustrating this is now!
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)

Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Just a thought, have you checked the vacuum operated exhaust valve on the left side downstream from the exhaust manifold?
If it frozen in the wrong position, that may cause some sort of exhaust restriction and maybe some driveability problems. Not sure what happens when these fail, just my theory. To check, apply vacuum and observe valve, plunger should move freely and it should hold vacuum also,
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #23
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
What doesn't make sense is that there would be a carb problem after the car overheated.
Stranger things have happened..
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #24
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
And the carb has never been done. When you rebuilt yours, did you buy a re-manufactured carb, or use a carb kit in the original?
I had these guys rebuild mine.. Worth the money IMO.

http://smicarburetor.com/products/sf.../productID/432
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
j cAT
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: EVERETT, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
The EGR has been replaced, and there was no difference in the "chuggle" problem.

I cannot express how frustrating this is now!

remove the new EGR valve plug the exhaust port that is now in view. check to see that the port going to the intake manifold has vacuum.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt2Lst View Post
Just a thought, have you checked the vacuum operated exhaust valve on the left side downstream from the exhaust manifold?
If it frozen in the wrong position, that may cause some sort of exhaust restriction and maybe some driveability problems. Not sure what happens when these fail, just my theory. To check, apply vacuum and observe valve, plunger should move freely and it should hold vacuum also,
the valve is working, albeit slowly. It does open fully, and hold vacuum.

(I had high hopes for this one!)
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)

Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Took the car through its annual mandatory emissions test today, and passed with flying colours. Although HC has increased marginally from .61ppm to .74ppm, NOX and CO both dropped.

Does this give anyone any more ideas?
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)

Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #28
Filmfest Guy
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spuzzum
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt2Lst View Post
I had these guys rebuild mine.. Worth the money IMO.

http://smicarburetor.com/products/sf.../productID/432
Checked the site, unable to find an application to match my carb.

This would be one of the last options, simply due to the cost....
__________________
1990 Caprice Classic Hearse...built by Superior. Olds 307, stock (so far)

Filmfest Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast
 
Blt2Lst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: redondo beach, California
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Coughing Hearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfest Guy View Post
Checked the site, unable to find an application to match my carb.

This would be one of the last options, simply due to the cost....
You should have the electronic q-jet carb, they do have them or they can rebuild yours.
Rebuilding yours is the least expensive way to go.
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cough cough... LOSER! 1986Z28 Camaro Discussions 21 09-30-2006 12:32 AM
cough cough Allegretto Caprice 7 11-17-2004 10:47 PM
cough grind cough clank sputter Jet-Lee Escort 24 05-06-2004 09:50 AM
*cough *cough HELP ME! *cough *cough budd91crx '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee 2 08-12-2002 05:25 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Tags
307 , caprice , surge
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts