|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#16
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
Kel.
__________________
Kel M Panoz GTRA #17 New Zealand |
|
#17
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
My 4.6L pan was a frankenstein looking pan, looked like a hakced up stock, but never even looked inside when i sold it to see what they did. I need to find a swinging pickup for my LS1, know anywhere that sells them? :-D
__________________
Eric H (in case you couldn't guess) GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue) |
|
#18
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
I would skip this evolution anyway (swinging pickups) and go straight to dry sump. Anything else is really a compromise.
__________________
Kel M Panoz GTRA #17 New Zealand |
|
#19
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
But yeah I am looking into a dry sump kit... But trying to do as many other things as possible until that time comes. 4 point baffled/trap door pan, crank scraper... already have the accusump.
__________________
Eric H (in case you couldn't guess) GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue) |
|
#20
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Yes the Commodore does run the LS engine but the V8 Touring car class has to run the Holden cast iron blocked engine as there is no late model Ford push rod V8 to enable a degree of parity. The Holdens run a 308 cube engine and the Ford Falcons run a 302. This is the class that I got the pics of the split 302 from. Hoping not to have some of my own any time soon................
__________________
Kel M Panoz GTRA #17 New Zealand |
|
#21
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
The smart thing Tom did was not to try to restart it after he felt the belt go.
The damper was a new Fluidampr (zero balance), the belt looked like new in pre race inspection and the tensioner and pulleys were all fine. There were no unusual noises when the motor was cranked in the paddock after the belt was replaced. It fired for a few seconds and was immediately shut off when the dampner wobble was noticed. The odd thing was the inability to break the dampner bolt loose with an 18 inch breaker bar and a four foot cheater. If the crank is broken, it is might be forward of the timing set or it wouldn't have started and run for those couple of seconds. That would make one think it is the dampner, but the front seal was leaking at this point and when looking at the back of the dampner, when it was wiggled, the entire dampner wiggled as a unit including the snout into the seal and front cover. The only visible damage to the dampner was some finish scrapped off where it rubbed the timing pointer from the wobble. Since it started and ran briefly, the timing must be pretty close. I'm thinking that the play is between the snout of the crank and the inside of the dampner or the crank is broken at a significant angle, forward of the number 1 main so that the front cover is pressing it together so the timing gear and dampner still move with the crank. Either guess is hard to figure given the lack of load on the crank snout and the dampner. As Tom said only a teardown will resolve the mystery. May be it's the dreaded muffler bearing. Mike |
|
#22
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
This type of breakage is quite common in some Chev 383 aftermarket cranks and also in some Holden stroker cranks. Most of the broken ones that I have seen have been cast cranks that have been revved in race conditions above 6,000 rpm.
__________________
Kel M Panoz GTRA #17 New Zealand |
|
#23
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Motor Build
Tom,
I was there and saw it that sucks. I just emailed Steve wondering what happened. I left because I knew Garys guys were not happy campers. Jim
__________________
Panoz GTRA #39 Old chassis # 30 New chassis |
|
#24
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Ok bottom of motor is apart. The first piston throw cracked about 1/2 way up toward the rod bearing. I sent eric the pictures. I appears that there was no other damage. The first main bearing was trashed there is a picture of that as well. I am having them double check everything to be sure. But I must have had some divine help on this one.
__________________
-Cobra (A.K.A Tom D) Racer and Gamer Panoz GTRA (Mystery Chassis #) (Track Toy) 2001 BMW M5 (Road Toy) 2006 F250 (Car Hauler) 2002 Odyssey (Kid Hauler) |
|
#25
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
made me sad just posting them!!
__________________
Eric H (in case you couldn't guess) GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue) |
|
#26
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
Is the crank clearly marked as an Eagle item with their brand logo and part numbers?
__________________
Kel M Panoz GTRA #17 New Zealand |
|
#27
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
yeah i doesnt look like any eagle product I've ever seen...
Was the journal that cracked the same one they welded on? Seems like it saw a lot of heat! I'd venture to say that the crank was warped and under serious load the metal fatigued and cracked. Just a guess, any chance you can take some better quality pics of the whole crank(all the way around where it cracked?)
__________________
Eric H (in case you couldn't guess) GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue) |
|
#28
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Is this the same crank? did the shop who installed it do some serious work/"polishing"/balancing?
Looks good here A little less refined here...
__________________
Eric H (in case you couldn't guess) GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue) |
|
#29
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
__________________
Devin - (aka Panoz26) Formally WC Car # 26, Red Now = WC-GT2 # 211, Black |
|
#30
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Motor Build
Quote:
Yes those are the pictures of the same crank. The shop did do some polishing/prep work. The crank came internally balanced so they did some minor work I certainly would not call it "serious". I will try to get some better pictures with my REAL camera sometime this week. I have not heard back yet from Keith Craft yet. I expect I will today. Thanks for all the dialogue.
__________________
-Cobra (A.K.A Tom D) Racer and Gamer Panoz GTRA (Mystery Chassis #) (Track Toy) 2001 BMW M5 (Road Toy) 2006 F250 (Car Hauler) 2002 Odyssey (Kid Hauler) |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|