-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-25-2003, 08:43 AM
91zc 91zc is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coilovers are pretty easy to adjust although you do need to raise the car when doing it. It is wise to try to keep the threads clean if you are going to be adjusting them frquently since the threads tend to become gummed up with road grime. Most aftermarket struts will hold up to the abuse.
__________________
91 civic 4dr
b16a
14.8@94
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-25-2003, 08:45 AM
marked001's Avatar
marked001 marked001 is offline
Moderadur
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to marked001
....its really not all that hard, but it is kind of a pain in the ass...you have to take the weight off the wheels....crank the perch up/down...which is easier by taking the wheel off.....that's it really..but it is kind of a pain in my opinion..but definitely worth it.

I'll be picking up some coilovers for my a4 sometime this summer so I can raise it up to play in the snow in the winter I'm getting 'real' coilovers though...not a slip-on sleeve kit
__________________
SOLD!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-25-2003, 08:47 AM
sastanley's Avatar
sastanley sastanley is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sastanley Send a message via Yahoo to sastanley
Cool...so - next Q - which ones do you recommend as a good combo? If I were permanently lowering, I think I'd go Neuspeed lowering springs, but I have no clue about coilovers...and I think I've heard people recommend Tokico as good shock/struts to go with those springs. What's the difference between blues and yellows in the Tokico line? Different amount of drop?? different desired ride harshness??

Dammit Jason...don't confuse me what is a "slip-over" as opposed to a "real" kit? I would hopefully be smart enough to get a decent kit...but again, like an engine swap was two years back, this is new territory for me
__________________
-Shawn
'91 Civic DX sedan
DOHC ZC, I,H,E, urethane bushings and mount inserts, rock chipped hood, some rust, stock steelies, nice comfy Integra seats, and the A/C works! What else could you want from an 18 year old car with 241,000 miles? Working on getting the Si tranny in now
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-25-2003, 08:56 AM
marked001's Avatar
marked001 marked001 is offline
Moderadur
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to marked001
ground control's are nice coilovers..those and skunks are probably the best out there for honda's...I'm not the most knowledgable with struts....but the biggest difference between them is the amoutn of damping...if you're gonna go all out, get some adjustable ones..that way you can dial in your comfort or handling...I had the blues and didnt really like them.

sleeve kits arent really 'coil overs'...they're a threaded sleeve with an adustable perch that slips over any old strut..a true coilover has a strut matched to the system and has the threaded body right onthe strut...there's alot of other difference I'm sure..but like I said, I'm not the most knowledgable
__________________
SOLD!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-25-2003, 09:12 AM
crxlvr's Avatar
crxlvr crxlvr is offline
Slowest Automatic Civic
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,460
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
i always had a question bout coilovers, when you lower a car you need to get an alingment so your wheels will be straight against the road surface, so do you need to get one every time you raise or lower the coils, cuz from the very top to the very bottom the alingment has to change, no?
__________________
Name: Scott

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-25-2003, 09:15 AM
marked001's Avatar
marked001 marked001 is offline
Moderadur
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 6,700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to marked001
..that's the general concensus....and it seems most people say this b/c of camber...but there is no stock adjustment for camber on honda's as far as I know...so......I dont know I've had coilovers on a couple cars and have never gotten an alignment and never really had a problem except for camber...which is expected.
__________________
SOLD!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2003, 12:18 PM
sastanley's Avatar
sastanley sastanley is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sastanley Send a message via Yahoo to sastanley
Quote:
Originally posted by crxlvr
i always had a question bout coilovers, when you lower a car you need to get an alingment so your wheels will be straight against the road surface, so do you need to get one every time you raise or lower the coils, cuz from the very top to the very bottom the alingment has to change, no?
yeah dude..you are talking about camber...it changes as you raise or lower the vehicle...think about a Baja truck and how funny the wheels look as they are airborn, how they lean "in"...that is camber..the opposite is the issue when you lower your car...whenever you take apart your suspension, all the minute adjustments that go into proper alignment (toe in and thrust angle) get all screwed up. I don't think an alignment shop can adjust camber without a camber kit. I am assuming various companies make adjustable camber kits that are designed for designated ranges of drop i.e. - 'this kit will help you correctly set up your camber for anything between a 1" to 2" drop'

Ground Controls...cool..so good coilovers will come with struts/shocks, and won't need to be purchased separately...
__________________
-Shawn
'91 Civic DX sedan
DOHC ZC, I,H,E, urethane bushings and mount inserts, rock chipped hood, some rust, stock steelies, nice comfy Integra seats, and the A/C works! What else could you want from an 18 year old car with 241,000 miles? Working on getting the Si tranny in now
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 PM
antiguabill's Avatar
antiguabill antiguabill is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
H & R make good ones.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-26-2003, 03:30 AM
91zc 91zc is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sastanley

Ground Controls...cool..so good coilovers will come with struts/shocks, and won't need to be purchased separately...
"Full Coilovers" like those made by tein, zeal, H&R, progress, etc come complete with the strut, spring, adjustable perches, bumpstops, pillow mounts. However these cost much more than say the 350 you would spend on ground controls. You will need to purchase struts separate if you decide to go with the ground control coilovers.
__________________
91 civic 4dr
b16a
14.8@94
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-26-2003, 04:18 AM
Civic Jim's Avatar
Civic Jim Civic Jim is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Civic Jim Send a message via MSN to Civic Jim
Quote:
Originally posted by antiguabill
[b]i too love those GSR wheels.
we dont get integras in england.[b]
yes we do just not the 1.6 16v ones we only get really shitty ones, except for the later type r's n stuff
__________________
Jim - Your Resident EDM Biatch
B16A1 I/H/E
4TH GEN UK SITE
Honda Civic EE9 1.6-i VT
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-26-2003, 03:06 PM
antiguabill's Avatar
antiguabill antiguabill is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we got integras up until about 90. then we didnt get any until the type r in 98/99.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Civic Jim's Avatar
Civic Jim Civic Jim is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Civic Jim Send a message via MSN to Civic Jim
yeah sorry i thought u meant we didnt get em at alll lol, not to worry
__________________
Jim - Your Resident EDM Biatch
B16A1 I/H/E
4TH GEN UK SITE
Honda Civic EE9 1.6-i VT
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Melt's Avatar
Melt Melt is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 7,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Melt
After going to teh gas station my MPG with those one has dropped by 4 MPG. So I went to my friends house and he wasnt home so I put the 2 VX rims that were just lying in his garage back on my car ... would have done all 4 but I didnt want to jack up his car while he wasnt there. Anyways, on the drive home my car instantly felt better. Easier to turn and a lot more pickup. Well I dont wanna drive around looking like I "race" with the 15s still on the back so I put the 13" 86 accord alloys on the back of my car and hopefully tommorow I can get my other 2 rims back.



I tell you guys one thing though, I will no longer think twice about people with the big rims on the back and stocks on the front ... there is a definite reason for it.
__________________
AF Bay Area Crew
97 Toyota T100 xcab 3.4l v6 5spd 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Jay eS Iye's Avatar
Jay eS Iye Jay eS Iye is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jay eS Iye
i have steelies in the front and 15's in hte back right now while i get new tires (the rims are 2/5 horus away right now), and i see no difference whatsoever, except for hte ricer appearance and looks i get. i think its totally stupid, in my opinion. i asked a boy one day why he did it, and it said its the way real racers do it... i wanted to burst into laughter right there....
__________________
The Civic is gone...
The Camry never ran...
The Chevy is here to stay...

The Ultimate Honda Engine
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-27-2003, 04:51 PM
blueturtle blueturtle is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 758
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to blueturtle
so whats the dioff between all steelies or having steelies on front abd big rims on back?
__________________
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts