-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Cl0ak's Avatar
Cl0ak Cl0ak is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 918
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

I'll admit to running a red light once in a while headed to work, but I drive to work at 3:30am on back country roads so sitting at a light for 3-4 minutes when I can see the entire road is empty seems pointless to me. I do stop however look around and than go.

Speaking of lights I was at work parked behind one of the shops I was delivering to and as i'm doing my paperwork I hear brakes lock up, as I looked up a car skidded right through the intersection at a flashing yellow and slammed into a van. The van had made a right on red directly in front of the car. I've seen people speed right through flashing red lights too, I think half the people in this country don't know what a flashing red or yellow light means.
__________________


95 Pontiac Trans Am SOLD
03 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD
03 Mercury Sable
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Steel's Avatar
Steel Steel is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,027
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnym86
+1,000,000 ... I thought NYC sucked, but Boston is all sorts of messed up. Atleast NYC makes sense, Boston is just an un-organized mess. I suggest public transportation (although, even that is messed up... basically, i really don't like Boston...)

good luck in your endeavor. Kudo's if you find a manual.
Bah, its not bad once you know where to go. It's a pretty small city, so the traffic eases up pretty quick outside of the downtown too (not like anyone even NEEDS to drive downtown. The T is so much more fun!). I like the electric busses they got in, no more thn 3 years old now, Smooth, quiet, lots of space. A lot better than the 60 year old relics i used to take into town.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
ac427cpe's Avatar
ac427cpe ac427cpe is offline
Miata is always the answe
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanel1
Doberman : if you ran a red light, you look before of course, and you can do it for not main red lights. For example in Italy (less in France), a red light not too important is considered like a stop... and there are not more accidents than in the Us or other European countries.

Solid red light means you have to stop till it changes. Blinking red is stop + check that it is clear. Most police here have no tolerance for red light running.

If you want to rent a manual, look into finding a Shelby GT-H Mustang (from Hertz rent a car). Won't be cheap, but they are fun!
__________________
hello, i am Dan

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 AM
XeVeNskyLiNE's Avatar
XeVeNskyLiNE XeVeNskyLiNE is offline
Turbo makes me emo!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to XeVeNskyLiNE
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

I dunno about Beantown, but here in North Dallas alot of the busy intersections the city has implemented cameras that work alot like speed cameras. So if you get timed running the red light, flash, click click, your ticket is in the mail sir.
__________________
_______A-10 Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice vv Can't get my sig right vv

Currently in Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona MySpace My S14 and DSM
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 AM
doberman_52's Avatar
doberman_52 doberman_52 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to doberman_52
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Yeah, we got those cameras here in south dakota too. I've never had to worry bout em though.
__________________
1994 Honda Civic - D15B7 W/5 spd
2000 Olds Intrigue - 3.5

Cory
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Stefanel1's Avatar
Stefanel1 Stefanel1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

I think I'll take the Peugeot on the boat with the French plates and come in the US then.... and then, for the cameras...

More seriously, the best is to respect quite well the road legislation, no choice alas ! But for one week, I'll survive !

Departure tomorrow.

Thanks to all. Merci
__________________

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
doberman_52's Avatar
doberman_52 doberman_52 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to doberman_52
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

It also depends on the cops around. I know a few people who got off easy, and others who didnt. And I ran my first red light today...wouldnt have been able to stop, roads were wet and i was going 45 or so. lol. Good luck with the trip.
__________________
1994 Honda Civic - D15B7 W/5 spd
2000 Olds Intrigue - 3.5

Cory
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
94SolGrl's Avatar
94SolGrl 94SolGrl is offline
Honda GODDESS/Global Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,901
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 94SolGrl Send a message via MSN to 94SolGrl
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

How long are you staying? Me and my girls went to NYC for a few days last year and instead of renting a "normal" car like an accord, we decided to live it up, picked up some extra shifts at work, and went to a luxury/exotic rental firm. Thanks to my dad's signature, we tooled around NYC in a 2006 BMW M5. There were 5 of us, and the difference in cost was about an extra $50/day.

Moral of story - The M5 was a manual transmission.
__________________
~*Emily*~
1995 Nissan 240SX - S15 whore

HOW TO POST PICS!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Greenblurr93's Avatar
Greenblurr93 Greenblurr93 is offline
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,900
Thanks: 12
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

ok, i live in boston (next to fenway park..you know youre jealous).. dont run ANY red lights.... if its not important they wont put a light there, theyll just put a stop sign.. and when in Boston, drive like everyone else... that way you dont cause accidents..watch out for pot holes....we all drive like assholes, dont get angry, its just the way it is... Good luck and WELCOME TO BEAN TOWN! (Bostons nickname)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Steel's Avatar
Steel Steel is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,027
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

And only say good things about the redsox or bad things about the yankees, unless you want to be a murder victim.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
thadrawr's Avatar
thadrawr thadrawr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to thadrawr
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel
And only say good things about the redsox or bad things about the yankees, unless you want to be a murder victim.
yeah i dont dare go anywhere near boston with my NY plates even though i couldnt give 2 fucks about baseball
__________________
1999 GMC Sierra 1500
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Greenblurr93's Avatar
Greenblurr93 Greenblurr93 is offline
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,900
Thanks: 12
Thanked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

^
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Stefanel1's Avatar
Stefanel1 Stefanel1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Ok so, I just came back from Boston this morning. I was in the US for one week.

I went to Boston, Providence, Cap Code, Newport, mainly.
Nice region, very nice views, alas the weather was not so cool : although, nice weather, but cold because of the wind !
Nice houses in Newport (bigger than the Kennedy's house in Hyannis), people very simpatic too.

For the cars and drinving :
In Boston, people don't drive so madly, but one thing which is awful is that it's unpossible to park anywhere. Finally, Paris is not so bad from this point of view !
I drove like other people in towns, on the other roads, even if people did often overpass the speed limits, I was not able to remain so slow. On the roads, I was at about 60-65, on the highways, 75 to 95mph. For the red lights, I forgot a very interesting (and smart) thing in the US, it's than you can turn right on many red lights.
On the highways though, people there don't know to keep there right, when you arrive on the left to overpass someone, you have to flash them, or even overpass them by the right when they don't move....

I've rent... three cars : one Taurus that I kept one day because it had really a too poor handling. In the curves, I was always thinking that the car would leave the road ! Then a G6 (not too bad) but the car made a strange noise after only 20 miles..... i changed it for a Malibu 2.2... All automatics, but it was running. And then, after changing 3 times of car in one week, I became more flexible on my exigences !

I was surprised (as always when I go in North America) to notice that there are no cars like Peugeot, Renault, Citroën, Alfa Romeo, Lancia or Fiat for example.... Beh, I know, they left 15 years ago, and not considering well their clients.

To conclude, New England is a very nice region with awesome coasts. The food was not excellent alas, but it's possible to find some good things (overall good meats). And finally, at the airport, leaving my digital prints and my photo, I'm now a vip in the usa..... !
__________________

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
XeVeNskyLiNE's Avatar
XeVeNskyLiNE XeVeNskyLiNE is offline
Turbo makes me emo!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to XeVeNskyLiNE
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

Sounds like fun, too bad you didn't get to see many of the domestic cars like Mustangs and Camaros that unfortunately run this country, I'm sure you guys don't have those over there. And yea, the whole thing about people being stubborn about moving out of the fast lane is country wide problem. My favorite part is when they stay in your way for a few miles and then as soon you pass you look in your rearview to see them finalyl changing lanes.
__________________
_______A-10 Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice vv Can't get my sig right vv

Currently in Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona MySpace My S14 and DSM

Last edited by XeVeNskyLiNE; 04-02-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Stefanel1's Avatar
Stefanel1 Stefanel1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Need conseils for Usa.

There are some Mustang here, but very few. It's not imported by Ford but by private importators, so the price arrives at about 50 000 euros (65 000 USD), fully loaded, but at this price, you can have a 330ci or a Cayman for example. Though, it's a nice car.
For the Camaro, I drove onefew years ago in Florida, bu I've to say that I didn't like it (sorry) : poor handling, not well built, very heavy, etc.
But I saw another car out there which is the new Ford Thunderbird, awesome car !
__________________

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts