-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:45 AM
AmazonSprite AmazonSprite is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 444
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
That sucks!
I feel very sorry for you.

I wish you good luck in getting your stuff back.


Very sorry to hear what's happened & hope you manage to trace them.
__________________
Paul


'67 Amazon 122S B20 o/d Estate & '61 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:51 AM
snk33y
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Sorry to hear bout your loss...now that u have posted your list ill keep my eyes wide open on Ebay. Hope all ends well.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Bobble83's Avatar
Bobble83 Bobble83 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Bobble83 Send a message via Yahoo to Bobble83
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
My wife would be my prime suspect
Same here! I wouldn't put it past her to sell the damn lot (about 35 Kits)
But i think yo should go straight to the police. It could be some crazed modeler who cant get what he wants on ebay. Plus the police may know of other cases like this. Anyone who steals a guys model colection must have a reason for doing it. And get that list to your local hobby shops to!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 AM
klutz_100's Avatar
klutz_100 klutz_100 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,889
Thanks: 7
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

IMHO in this case I think it unlikely that Datsun's stash was targeted per se. If I understood his earlier post correctly, several lockers were broken into at the same time. That suggests to me petty thieves and bad luck. The police usually have a good idea who they are in the area and that is why I think reporting it will increase your slim chances of a recovery.
__________________
Guideline for happy modeling: Practice on scrap. Always try something new. Less is more.

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
willimo willimo is offline
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,723
Thanks: 50
Thanked 89 Times in 65 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Model kits aren't individually very valuable, but there's probably 150 kits/detail sets there, which could very easily be $2100 worth of merchandise. That's something to make cops sit up and notice. Filing a report certainly won't hurt your chances of getting them back, or something.
__________________
It ain't cool 'till your wife hates it.
Imagine a world without Alabama

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
mike@af's Avatar
mike@af mike@af is offline
Captain Over Engineer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,711
Thanks: 27
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

I've heard of contest entries being stolen at contest, but never anything like this. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
__________________
-Mike
AF Director of Media / Photographer

[email protected] | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
cfcrules's Avatar
cfcrules cfcrules is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Good luck in getting them back have you tried claiming on insurance? Now I just need to get a padlock so my 40+ kits can't be stolen from my shed.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Hiroboy's Avatar
Hiroboy Hiroboy is offline
www.hiroboy.com vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,842
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Damn....................Sorry to hear about this, hope it works out in the end, can you claim on Insurance ?
__________________
Steve a.k.a. Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com - www.zero-paints.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 AM
675datsun's Avatar
675datsun 675datsun is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Thanks for the concern and good ideas everyone...I don't have renter's insurance. I never had the need for it. I actually just moved in to this apartment last week. I forgot to mention that I didn't put a lock on my storage area...I am definitely from the suburbs

I just didn't think twice about it...when I moved in I thought it would be a "safe place" to store the kits. The kits weren't even exposed, they were in moving boxes.

I considered visiting some flea markets this weekend and hitting up some hobby shops but I'm not too motivated. Oh well I still have my 240z car to finish!

I spoke to my landlady and althought she was quite apologetic nothing could be done. She did say recently some punk teenage kids have been known to "tailgate" into the garages or wait for folks to leave it open...sadly this information could have been mentioned before I moved in!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 AM
S.L.A.[]V[].M.E.D S.L.A.[]V[].M.E.D is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

I feel very much for you , That is possibly the worst thing that could happen. And the chances are , they will be sold for $10 a peice at some local market somewhere . Its just outrageos that some people will do anything for money , It must have been some neighbourhood kids , Because if it was anyone serious I think they would have taken the car too. I mean c'mon , Unless its a fellow/not so fellow modeller , Why would anyone take model kits over a 1:1 car . It doesnt add up. I will keep my eyes open on ebay , But as said before , Check local flee markets and if you're not low on cash , Put up some posters at LHS's and rc car and other model related clubs in your area , Offering a reward of what you think they are worth to you. Its such a , I cant even think of the word I want to use , Its just really upsetting to hear about this. Sadly my first post here was a sad one

Let me know if there is anything I/we can do to help.
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2006, 06:58 AM
sjelic's Avatar
sjelic sjelic is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,176
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Put the reward poster on your buillding, saying you will give 2000$ to punks, if they return the kits and when they come, beat the shit out of them.
So sorry to hear that, I also keep my kits in storage and I am in fear every day, now I think I will move them somewhere else (more safe).
I am so mad, I can only imagine how you feel.
So sorry.
__________________
Sasa Jelic

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2006, 08:56 AM
winstona's Avatar
winstona winstona is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 400
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

This is just ridiculous! Why would anyone steal model kits? How are they going to sell them easily? Stealing is wrong to begin with, stealing someone else's collection is the worse! It is not about money, it is mostly somethign that can't be replaced. I am really sorry to hear what happened to you. Stay strong and I think you should report this to the police.

Winston
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM
AAlmeida's Avatar
AAlmeida AAlmeida is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 253
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Unbelievable! Who knows the kits were in the garage? Contact the local police and report the steal they listen things and can help you. How soon you do that, faster they can help you... Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
voyageur voyageur is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,229
Thanks: 1
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

I feel really sorry for you!

I agree with all others that you should contact the police immediately...just imagine they bust those punks for something else...and in the process they find a nice collection of model cars - you couldn't even claim them to be yours if you never filed a report with the police.

So go and file your report, it doesn't cost anything and you might get lucky with it some day...

GOOD LUCK!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 PM
porscheguy9999's Avatar
porscheguy9999 porscheguy9999 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
Re: Entire collection stolen, need help

Man that really sucks. Whoever stole those models must be a moron considering that your actual car was sitting right there. I'll keep an eye out for anything at eBay that looks suspicious. We AFers gotta look out for our own.
__________________
Currently:
1998 BMW 328is black/black coupe 5MT

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts