-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community
Politics, Investments & Current Affairs Yea... title kind of explains what this forum is about.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
lazysmurff's Avatar
lazysmurff lazysmurff is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to lazysmurff
Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB454
I agree. But when you identify yourself with a group (Catholics for example) shouldn't your morals and principles somewhat reflect that groups morals and principles?
i may be wrong, but isnt he a non practicing?

and i really could care less about the mans religious affiliation, it should stand no place in our election process. what matters is what he says he stands for
__________________
i love him whose soul is deep, even in being wounded.
  #17  
Old 06-22-2004, 08:50 AM
CarSuperfreak's Avatar
CarSuperfreak CarSuperfreak is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to CarSuperfreak
Re: McCain for Bush!!

^ but thats the problem

his religious affiliation implies he stands for one things, while in fact he stands for something different
__________________
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
- Galileo Galilei
  #18  
Old 06-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Pick Pick is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
....
And good party pressure at that. It would be a moronic decision on McCain's part and prove that not only does Kerry not have a back bone, but McCain doesn't either.
  #19  
Old 06-24-2004, 09:33 AM
carrrnuttt's Avatar
carrrnuttt carrrnuttt is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,998
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
And good party pressure at that. It would be a moronic decision on McCain's part and prove that not only does Kerry not have a back bone, but McCain doesn't either.
Hmm. You guys are REALLY brainwashed, are you?

Now you purport to attack a man that hasn't been anything, but honorable in not only his record, but in his words and actions, regardless of what party he pisses-off, including his own?

I'd say the man has a HELL of a lot more backbone than any other prominent politician currently out of Washington.

BTW, here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...&notFound=true


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


McCain Defends Kerry's Record on National Security
Ariz. Senator Calls for More Civility in Debate
By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 19, 2004; Page A01

.
Republican Sen. John McCain yesterday defended Sen. John F. Kerry's record on national security, undercutting the Bush-Cheney campaign's latest attacks on the Democratic presidential challenger and frustrating conservatives hoping for a unified front against the Massachusetts senator.
.
"I do not believe that he is, quote, 'weak on defense,' " McCain (Ariz.) said on NBC's "Today" show.
.
Asked on the CBS "Early Show" whether he agreed with Vice President Cheney's assertion that Kerry is a threat to national security, McCain said: "I don't think that. I think that John Kerry is a good and decent man. . . . I think he has different points of view on different issues, and he will have to explain his voting record. But this kind of rhetoric, I think, is not helpful in educating and helping the American people make a choice."
.
Although McCain restated his support of Bush's reelection bid, Democrats welcomed his remarks during a week in which the Bush-Cheney campaign sharpened its attacks on Kerry's record on military and diplomatic matters. In a speech Wednesday in California, Cheney portrayed Kerry as a weak-willed lawmaker whose policies would have left Saddam Hussein in Baghdad as well as Kuwait. He said Kerry "has given us ample doubts about his judgment and the attitude he brings to bear on vital issues of national security."
.
Yesterday, the Bush campaign released a new TV ad attacking Kerry's voting record on funding the war in Iraq.
.
McCain, who lost a sometimes bitter GOP presidential nomination battle to Bush four years ago, is well-known for opposing Republican orthodoxy on campaign finance laws and other issues. A congressional authority on military affairs, he is a hero to many veterans familiar with his years of torture in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp.
.
Some of Bush's staunchest backers seemed infuriated by McCain's comments, which ran counter to the Republicans' theme of the week and landed on an otherwise quiet day, with Kerry on vacation in Idaho. Conservative talk show hosts, including Laura Ingraham, denounced McCain's remarks, and by midday the senator was declining most interview requests.
.
Two associates close to McCain said that he is weary of such criticisms from within his party but that he refuses to join what he considers unfair attacks on Kerry, a friend and fellow decorated veteran of the Vietnam War. They noted that McCain was asked point-blank whether he thinks Kerry is weak on defense, not a more nuanced question such as how his and Kerry's voting records differ.
.
"John Kerry is his friend," McCain's chief of staff, Mark Salter, said. "He's not going to attack his friend."
.
On the "Today" show, McCain urged the Kerry and Bush campaigns to adopt more civil tones on terrorism and national security.
.
"Both sides have been beating up on the other in the most negative campaign earlier than I've ever seen," he said. "I'd like to see it stop. I'd like to see a serious discussion about Medicare, Social Security, education, what we're going to do about the deficit and overspending."
.
Hitting the same theme on the "Early Show," he said, "I think we ought to have open and honest debates on those issues. I think the president has led this nation with clarity since September 11th. I'm supporting his reelection. But I would certainly hope that we could raise the level of this debate. Otherwise, we're going to have very low voter turnouts in November."
.
The Bush-Cheney campaign played down McCain's remarks, noting that the senator has campaigned for Bush this year in New Hampshire. Asked whether the campaign would prefer that McCain stay off television, spokesman Terry Holt said: "In the Republican Party, we have a respect for our public officials to make those decisions for themselves. . . . John McCain said John Kerry would have to explain his record," a record the Bush campaign plans to make "exceedingly clear to voters."
.
Republican activist Charlie Black, who is close to many Bush advisers, agreed. "I don't think this is a very big deal," he said. "John McCain has done everything the Bush campaign has asked him to do. . . . John's a celebrity; he makes news."
.
Some Democratic activists, however, said McCain's comments will undercut Cheney's hard-hitting remarks.
.
"It only takes one person speaking out of school to reveal a lie or distortion," said Joe Lockhart, a former spokesman for president Bill Clinton. "So I think this could have a powerful impact on the Bush attack." Noting that Bush supporters fiercely criticized McCain in the 2000 South Carolina presidential primary, Lockhart said McCain "is probably America's biggest victim of the Bush attack machine."
.
On both morning TV programs, McCain reiterated that he will not leave the Republican Party or accept anyone's vice presidential offer. He said on CBS, "The vice president only has two duties. One is to break a tie vote in the Senate and the other is to inquire daily as to the health of the president. I prefer being in the Senate."
__________________
2002_Nissan_Maxima_6-speed
  #20  
Old 06-24-2004, 10:21 AM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysmurff
i may be wrong, but isnt he a non practicing?
Probably...but I don't think it was his choice to not practice.


Quote:
and i really could care less about the mans religious affiliation, it should stand no place in our election process. what matters is what he says he stands for
Agreed. His religious affiliations should not get in the way of the election process. However, as carsuperfreak pointed out he does identify himself as a Catholic and has been shown on television many times going into or comming out of a catholic church attending mass.He readly admits to being Catholic. That's cool... I can't fault a man for practicing his faith but some of his beliefs are against what the Catholic Church believes. Maybe he should find a religion that more closely resembles his beliefs. Either that or not associate himself with any belief system. I just think that in the long run professing to be Catholic and not following it's ordinances will hurt him more than help him in the end.
  #21  
Old 06-24-2004, 01:15 PM
taranaki's Avatar
taranaki taranaki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysmurff
lets keep in mind that morals and principles are relative.

and as for mccain supporting bush, i thinbk its party loyalty more than anything. mccain is pretty open and straight forward about how much he disapproves of whats going wrong with our country, but i still think that he, and the republican party, would prefer a republican to a democrat, even if it means 4 more years of bush.
And that is exactly where the mainstream Republicans let their country down.Better to have a bad Republican wrecking the country than risk getting a good Democrat? I don't think so. Bush has done incalculable damage to the international reputation of what was formerly a respectable military nation.America is no longer seen by the rest of her allies as always being on the right side.In order to achieve his goal of conquering Iraq,Bush has turned a good economy to massive deficit,without achieving his objective.Even a Democrat coudn't make a bigger hash of it,but loyal republicands will continue to vote for him on the basis of his party rather than his performance.

If America were a corporation,and Bush was CEO,he'd have been unceremoniosly ousted a long way back.There's no room for arrogance and failure of this magnitude in the real world.
  #22  
Old 06-24-2004, 06:58 PM
thegladhatter's Avatar
thegladhatter thegladhatter is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
Now you purport to attack a man that hasn't been anything, but honorable in not only his record, but in his words and actions, regardless of what party he pisses-off, including his own?

I'd say the man has a HELL of a lot more backbone than any other prominent politician currently out of Washington.
Talk about brainwashed!!! ANYONE who believes that utter nonsense is off his bean!!
__________________
Mr. Congeniality and PROUD Infidel!
  #23  
Old 06-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Pick Pick is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: McCain for Bush!!

Carrrnuttt, you have a thing for McCain don't you?
  #24  
Old 06-24-2004, 08:14 PM
2strokebloke's Avatar
2strokebloke 2strokebloke is offline
In Stereo where available
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: McCain for Bush!!

Pick, you have a thing for lobotomies, don't you?
__________________

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
  #25  
Old 06-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Pick Pick is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: McCain for Bush!!

Yeah.......
  #26  
Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 PM
carrrnuttt's Avatar
carrrnuttt carrrnuttt is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,998
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Carrrnuttt, you have a thing for McCain don't you?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.

I've always had a thing for politicians that can say and do the right thing...not the partisan thing.

Nice attempt at sidestepping the issue in contention though.

I could say that you have a thing for Bush, but I know I'll be wrong, as I know you only have a thing for your parent's money, and feel Bush is more sympathetic towards their bank account (at the expense of the middle-class).
__________________
2002_Nissan_Maxima_6-speed
  #27  
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 PM
thegladhatter's Avatar
thegladhatter thegladhatter is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
I could say that you have a thing for Bush, but I know I'll be wrong, ....
I've always had a thing for politicians that can say and do the right thing...not the partisan thing.

Nice attempt at sidestepping the issue in contention though.
__________________
Mr. Congeniality and PROUD Infidel!
  #28  
Old 06-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Flatrater's Avatar
Flatrater Flatrater is offline
Main GM Guy
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB454
Probably...but I don't think it was his choice to not practice.



Agreed. His religious affiliations should not get in the way of the election process. However, as carsuperfreak pointed out he does identify himself as a Catholic and has been shown on television many times going into or comming out of a catholic church attending mass.He readly admits to being Catholic. That's cool... I can't fault a man for practicing his faith but some of his beliefs are against what the Catholic Church believes. Maybe he should find a religion that more closely resembles his beliefs. Either that or not associate himself with any belief system. I just think that in the long run professing to be Catholic and not following it's ordinances will hurt him more than help him in the end.
What religion are you? Do you follow the bible or koran word for word or do you pick what you want to follow and discard the rest? Just because Bush is a catholic doesn't mean he has to agree with everything does it?
__________________
Shop Foreman Buick Pontiac and GMC dealership
ASE Master Tech
ASE Advanced L1
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
  #29  
Old 06-25-2004, 05:08 AM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatrater
What religion are you? Do you follow the bible or koran word for word or do you pick what you want to follow and discard the rest? Just because Bush is a catholic doesn't mean he has to agree with everything does it?
I am a member of a Pentecostal church. I don't believe everything it teaches but the differences are minor. It took a while to find a church that I was comfortable enough with it's teachings to become a member.
The one I belong to holds close enough beliefs to mine that the differences are not important enough to leave. Kerry on the other hand is not allowed to take communion because of certain beliefs. Communion is a big deal to most Catholics and to Catholocism(sp?) in general.
What I am trying to say is that possibly he should find a religion that more closely mirrors his own beliefs. It's a win for him and a win for whatever religion he chooses. He won't pick up too many Catholic votes or feel very comfortable at a mass when the leader of that religion views him as a hyprocrite.
  #30  
Old 06-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Pick Pick is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: McCain for Bush!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
.

I could say that you have a thing for Bush, but I know I'll be wrong, as I know you only have a thing for your parent's money, and feel Bush is more sympathetic towards their bank account (at the expense of the middle-class).
Once again, you have no fucking clue who I am. Lay off, and quit straying off topic to insult me with accusations that aren't even true. I'm fucking sick off you guessing about my life. I pay my rent, I pay for my car, gas, I pay my taxes, and I have a steady job. So shut up.
 
Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts