-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-08-2004, 10:20 AM
odb93 odb93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

Is it still cold???
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2004, 11:38 AM
badfunkn badfunkn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to badfunkn
Re: low temp / no heat

Oh yeah, still haven't figured it out.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
odb93 odb93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my story.

My truck will not warm up. (ENGINE TEMP or Interior)

We have recently had a very cold wave come through, but it never gets above the "N" in normal. Usually runs around r or m and provides plenty of heat.

So the first thing I do is top off the coolant. (NO HELP< STILL COLD)

Then I change the thermostat...(NO HELP STILL COLD)

I also let it warm up when leaving work....It makes a green puddle in the parking lot. SO I changed the radiator.

Guess what.....NO CHANGE.

I have also installed cardboard to cut off some of the clean air and it has made no change.

What is the deal???
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-09-2004, 06:44 AM
badfunkn badfunkn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to badfunkn
Re: low temp / no heat

The low engine temp sounds like a faulty T-Stat. If you bought a cheap one (Stant) they can be bad right out of the box. I would try a better one and make sure its rated for 192F or even a higher temp. The green puddle has to be a leak. Also try purging the air out of the cooling system, I've heard that can cause some weird problems too. None these solutions have solved my problem but that doesn't mean it won't help you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2004, 07:45 AM
odb93 odb93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

I know for sure my t stat is working. You can watch the temp come up to almost normal operating temp, then drops back down to the N in normal.

Ok let me hit you with some thougths I have had.....

The truck was so warm it would run you out last winter. So there are two options that it has to run cold this winter. There has to be a configuration change or there is a faulty part somewhere.

I have not changed the configuration to my knowledge so that leaves a faulty part.

Now that we are here, what part of the cooling system would make the engine run cooler when broken.....The T-stat. So I replaced it. No change. Still cold.

Here is an idea I conjured up last night.

The fan on my truck has a clutch on it. The fan is designed to pull maximum air flow through the radiator until the engine reaches normal operating temp. When this has been achieved, the clutch allows the fan to slip some causing less air to be pulled through the radiator.

This is something I have not seen posted on here.

FAN CLUTCH!!!!!!!!

I am going to try it this Friday.
__________________
Go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:26 AM
badfunkn badfunkn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to badfunkn
Re: low temp / no heat

Good luck, let us know how it works. Unfortunately for me I don't think that's my problem. That wouldn't stop water from flowing through the heater core. I'm going to rplace the water pump this weekend and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 AM
odb93 odb93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

So your engine operates are normal temp?????

That is the root of my problem. The interior will not get warm/hot unless the motor is warm.

Mine is not.
__________________
Go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:35 AM
krazibimmer krazibimmer is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to krazibimmer
have you check the temp. blend door or flapper to see if its opening or not?
__________________
??????????????
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:39 AM
odb93 odb93 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

I have a small amount of heat, but nothing like it used to be.

The motor is not running as hot as it used to.
__________________
Go fast, turn left, repeat as necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Tedowski Tedowski is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Tedowski
Angry Re: low temp / no heat

New here. Glad to find this forum. I have a 94 Ranger, 3.0 L. No heat at idle. (Even after 30 minutes) Minimal heat while driving. Bought it in April 03 with a new radiator, heater core and thermostat. Both heater hoses get warm. Blower motor is fine. Temp gauge runs in the low range.

The fan clutch idea sounds ok, but I'm leading towards the water pump.

Badfunkn - let us know if the pump solves the problem!

Last edited by Tedowski; 01-17-2004 at 05:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2004, 06:28 AM
badfunkn badfunkn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to badfunkn
Re: low temp / no heat

Tedowski, does your model have a heater control valve? Mine doesn't (93 2.3L) so I'm not sure where yours would be. Look close to the fire wall where your core hoses are run, there might be some sort of switch or valve. If the valve doesn't work water won't flow through the core. Have you tried purging the air out of the system yet?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Tedowski Tedowski is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Tedowski
Re: low temp / no heat

Badfunkn - My truck doesn't have a heater control valve. I did notice a little coolant on the pump though. I made a few calls and found a new pump today for $25, so I figure it's cheap enough to just bolt on a new one. Now I just need to find a heated garage to work on it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-18-2004, 06:24 PM
90RANGER 90RANGER is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

The Fan Clutch Has Nothing To Do With The Heat. What It Does Is Keeps It From Over Heating. And If It Is Bad Your Truck Will Over Heat.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
badfunkn badfunkn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to badfunkn
Re: low temp / no heat

I'm feeling you on the heated garage, we've had a blistering 20 degrees here all week. My garage is too small to bring the whole truck inside and still be able to work.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Bronco2 Bronco2 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: low temp / no heat

Has anybody checked the "doors" in the interior vent system ? I see no model years,engine size,etc. with these posts, but if the hot/cold air door is staying in the cold position,you get no heat.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts