-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM
awe341max awe341max is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 chevy S-10 no start

This one has me completely stumped and I could use a little help.

2000 chevy S10 175k miles
4.3 vortec engine

Recently replaced plugs, wires, rotor and cap. (less then 3k miles ago)
Fuel injector spider was replaced about 10k miles ago.
New fuel pump 40k miles ago.

The truck ran fine on Friday. No problems at all on the way home from work.
When I tried to start it up today (Sunday) The truck would not start.

I have a good bright blue spark on all 6 cylinders.
Fuel pressure is also within spec. (64)
Good compression on 5 of the 6 cylinders.
(I didn't check the last one since I can't get the gauge hose connected due to the steering shaft being in the way.)

There are also no stored computer codes.

So having good spark and good fuel delivery I can't even get so much as a single pop, chug, nothing. Even when I sprayed carb cleaner/starting fluid directly into the intake.

The only unusual thing that happened while the truck sat for a day was that we had a big rainstorm. However the truck has been drying in the garage all day as I try to figure this out. I've also never had any issues with this truck and rain in the past.

I need to get this thing running before Tuesday morning. So, any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
leadman leadman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Thats a tuff one. Did u check the timing? Maybe the chain slipped.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
awe341max awe341max is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Thats a tuff one. Did u check the timing? Maybe the chain slipped.
You would think that the timing chain would go while the engine is running rather then sitting in the driveway for a day. There were no problems at all when I drove it home. Everything ran as smooth as it always does on my 20 minute drive.

If it was a timing chain there would have been something on that last drive home.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to check the timing on this engine anyways. There are no timing marks of any kind and the distributor is not adjustable.

Not to mention that getting TDC on CYL 1 on this thing in pretty much impossible. You can barely see the plug hole much less get to it to use any of the methods that I know about.


Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

What brand of distributor cap and rotor did you install?
What brand & part number spark plug did you install?
__________________
You have to know how it works,
to figure out why it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Rick Norwood's Avatar
Rick Norwood Rick Norwood is offline
Big Tall Dumb Ass
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,306
Thanks: 15
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Can we assume that there is no alarm system?

Has any other work been done to the truck of any kind since it last ran?
__________________
"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking". - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
awe341max awe341max is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
What brand of distributor cap and rotor did you install?
What brand & part number spark plug did you install?
I have no idea the brand name of the cap and rotor or the exact part number of the plugs. They are however all exactly the same brands and part numbers that I have been using for every replacement for the last 170k miles on both of my trucks.

(yes I have 2 of the exact same truck)


The plugs are bosch platinum's. Same as I use in all of my vehicles.

As I said though. I have a nice bright blue spark from each of the plugs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM
awe341max awe341max is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood View Post
Can we assume that there is no alarm system?

Has any other work been done to the truck of any kind since it last ran?
Nope, no alarm system of any kind. No remote shutdown anti theft systems ect...


The only work that has been done since the truck last ran was testing parts from my other identical truck in the attempt to get this one to start.

I have swapped over from the other truck.
Coil
Cap and rotor
ignition module
fuel pump relay
a few other relays



I have also double checked all fuses and all other relays and replaced the not that old fuel filter. The onboard computer also responds correctly to all diagnostic queries and indicates no faults of any kind.

These trucks are very well maintained and I am at a complete loss as to why this one suddenly won't start after sitting in my driveway for a day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Rick Norwood's Avatar
Rick Norwood Rick Norwood is offline
Big Tall Dumb Ass
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,306
Thanks: 15
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

O.k. we'll assume for a minute that the good blue spark is happening when it is suppose to, the compression is good, and the fuel pressure is good too.

My thought is that the fuel is not getting into the intake, meaning the injectors themselves are not spraying fuel into the cylinders. OM can tell you what the voltages etc. should be at the injectors (I can't).
__________________
"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking". - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
awe341max awe341max is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Well, I got the truck started. The problem was stumbled across completely by accident and was something that I had never even considered before.

Someone sucked every single drop of gas out of my tank right in my own driveway!

I only realized it when I was once again under the truck checking all my fuel lines and I whacked my elbow against the tank and heard the sound of an empty tank. I had just over a half a tank when I parked it.

I dumped some leftover gas from the snow blower in the tank and she fired right up.

As to why I didn't even get so much as a pop from the carb cleaner or starting fluid I haven't a clue.
I can only assume that the good fuel pressure was due to the residual fuel in the lines and the few drops left in the bottom of the tank that just weren't enough to get it to fire for even a brief moment.


So this ended up being a lot of wasted time and money all because someone siphoned my tank.

I guess a locking gas cap for each of my vehicles is in my future.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Rick Norwood's Avatar
Rick Norwood Rick Norwood is offline
Big Tall Dumb Ass
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,306
Thanks: 15
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 2000 chevy S-10 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by awe341max View Post
Well, I got the truck started. The problem was stumbled across completely by accident and was something that I had never even considered before.

Someone sucked every single drop of gas out of my tank right in my own driveway!

I only realized it when I was once again under the truck checking all my fuel lines and I whacked my elbow against the tank and heard the sound of an empty tank. I had just over a half a tank when I parked it.

I dumped some leftover gas from the snow blower in the tank and she fired right up.

As to why I didn't even get so much as a pop from the carb cleaner or starting fluid I haven't a clue.
I can only assume that the good fuel pressure was due to the residual fuel in the lines and the few drops left in the bottom of the tank that just weren't enough to get it to fire for even a brief moment.


So this ended up being a lot of wasted time and money all because someone siphoned my tank.

I guess a locking gas cap for each of my vehicles is in my future.
Thanks for posting back, it takes a lot of guts to admit the real cause. And don't worry, we've all done it.
__________________
"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking". - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts