Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bleeding ABS W/O diagnostic computer

pkrieter
03-19-2010, 09:56 PM
To bleed ABS brakes,the standard proceedure is to bleed the brakes, use an ABS diagnostic computer to cycle the ABS system, then bleed the brakes again. I know that when you start the car and begin to drive, at about 3 miles per hour, it cycles the system. If I raised the car off the ground,start it,and put it in gear, and accelerate it until I hear it cycle the ABS system, will this allow me to properly bleed the brakes without having to buy the expensive ABS diagnostic computer?

fredjacksonsan
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
It should. The vehicle doesn't know if it's actually moving or jacked up.

This is the first time I've heard of the computer being used...on all my vehicles, I've bled the brakes as normal, even with ABS.

pkrieter
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks. I've seen it suggested many times and I know most people don't want to go buy an ABS diagnostic computer just to bleed brakes

hundahunta
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
you only need to bleed the abs if you replace the hydraulic control unit

pkrieter
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Good to know. Thanks .......

e40water12
02-20-2012, 03:29 PM
I think the only time you need diagnostic computer for ABS is if you trip the module into default mode. Then you need to recaliberate system. The same old school non Abs bleeding the brakes works, the same as Abs way/ Just don't allow the master cyl to run out of brake fluid.

Add your comment to this topic!