Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Relocation Kit

david-b
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Anyone know of any good battery relocation kits that come with everything needed plus the kill switch? Looking to get this done in the next couple weeks before the track. Help clean up the bay a lot too.

Any specific recommended brands?

SilvrEclipse
03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I believe summit has some good kits. I was looking into this a while back and was just planning on making my own kit. It would have come out much cheaper. Some things you need to consider is most tracks require sealed battery boxes and possibly a dry cell battery. I would probably go with a dry cell anyways just so you wont have any acid leaking issues. Also I wasnt planning on doing a cut off switch but I know the NHRA requires one. Our track never checks on test and tune days tho. Also I was going to use 2ga wire to run to the engine bay.

david-b
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
I was looking at the ones at Summit getting some ideas for pricing. Sealed was going to be for sure.

Why do you need a dry? And what's the price differences with those? Pros and cons of each? I've never been to the track but each one says they follow the rules very closely. Rather be in good shape then get turned away at the gate.

My cut off would be behind the license plate so it was hidden when the plate was on. Then no one can screw with it.

SilvrEclipse
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Thats a good idea to put it behind the plate and just take the plate off at the track. Never thought of doing that.

If I were you I would probably go with an ODYSSEY battery. They seem to be great for racing applications. Or a red/yellow top would be good to. Regular batteries sometimes leak acid and you dont want that inside your car.

david-b
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I didn't know the Yellow/Red tops were dry cells. I always wanted one.

I'm going to do some pricing up of these and all the parts and see what it comes out to. Also check all the rules on the switches and all.

Next question, some switches have 2 posts or 4 posts, for 'cars with alternators and without.' Why does that matter? Is there a certain way to wire up the 'with' applications?

ned032002
03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I was going to do this a while back just to clean up some room in the bay but wasn't sure on the cost of all the supplies.

sganc4life_4
03-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Why not just remove the charcoal canister and drop the battery tray onto the frame? Keeps weight in the front end and youll have plenty of space for your catch can(s).

david-b
03-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Why not just remove the charcoal canister and drop the battery tray onto the frame? Keeps weight in the front end and youll have plenty of space for your catch can(s).

True that is a good idea. And as a FWD I need the weight I can get in the front. That's actually a really good idea considering that's coming out this week anyways.

sganc4life_4
03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Yea, picked it up from a bit of research on tuners and dsmlink. I was looking to do a relocation also but when I found out that I could drop the battery and still have space, its just easier. Also, if you want a lighter battery, go with a stock civic battery...same CCA, half the size.

SilvrEclipse
03-21-2010, 12:57 AM
That works great for 4g63 cars as there battery is in the back but its a little different on the 420a cars. Dave I have still seen people mount them to the frame rail, kinda beside the fuse box area and they used small batteries.

david-b
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
That works great for 4g63 cars as there battery is in the back but its a little different on the 420a cars. Dave I have still seen people mount them to the frame rail, kinda beside the fuse box area and they used small batteries.

What do you mean in the back? You talking being on the passenger side instead of on the drivers side? I would have no problem running new wires to the other side and dropping it in the bumper.

I won't put it on the drivers side since my intake will come off the turbo, and go through the stock airbox hole and drop the filter in the fender.

I'll do some measuring when it gets nice and see what the possibility of doing these are. I've never seen it done on Tuners (except for the full out drag cars with no bumpers or custom bumpers). Have any pics anywhere?

SilvrEclipse
03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
On the 4g63 engine the battery is in the back passenger side of the engine bay. Right against the firewall. There is enough space there to drop it down some clean up the engine bay. On the 420a this is not the case. There are some good setups i found on 2gnt at one point you might want to check out dave.

david-b
03-23-2010, 08:08 AM
On the 4g63 engine the battery is in the back passenger side of the engine bay. Right against the firewall. There is enough space there to drop it down some clean up the engine bay. On the 420a this is not the case. There are some good setups i found on 2gnt at one point you might want to check out dave.

I was looking yesterday, and there is plenty of space to run the battery between the motor and the firewall on the passenger side, under the intake manifold. But if I need to get the battery out for any reason, wouldn't be easy.

I was actually thinking about this still and drawing some pics. It really makes sense to throw the battery on the passengerside front. The driverside is technically heavier due to the trans, driver, battery, and everything else. Putting the battery on the passengerside may help with equal weight distribution. I should be ripping off the bumper again this weekend so I'll measure and see how it all adds up.

I'll check 2ngt as well

Add your comment to this topic!