Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Jimmy Fuel Pump issue

RI1470
03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm just looking for a little advice here on how to deal with this one, and if anyone has this info. My 2000 Jimmy had the fuel pump give out about 7 months ago (131k mi) when it died, had it replaced and now the replacement fuel pump has died. Zero pressure, but the gage sensor still works. Anyhow, I've been doing a little research and talking to someone that I know who is a parts distributor, apparently GM knows that there is a problem with these fuel pumps with the small roundish 4 pin connector. There is a service message with some of the new pumps that if you are servicing the fuel pump you need to cut off the original connector, and replace with the connector that comes with the pump. Has to do with an over voltage problem burning out the new pumps.

Was there a recall for this, or was there a service bulletin? I can't find one, but this is the recommended fix from a couple of companies. If anyone has this info can they please pass it along, I'm now fighting with the shop that did the replacement to honor the 12mo warranty on the pump which they are refusing to do.

Thanks in advance!

Airjer_
03-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Its not a recall its just a bulletin/updated part. I've seen more problems with the main connector on the inside of the pump burnt up than the connector on the outside.

old_master
03-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Several things to consider when replacing a fuel pump: Noise, quality of the check valve, maximum output pressure, volume output, and last but not least, the warranty. Most aftermarket pumps fail in at least one of those areas within the first year, some fail before they even leave the shop! Typically an independent shop will honor the manufacturers warranty for the pump, and cover the labor for 90 days. That's why it's important to use a good quality OEM, (AC Delco or Delphi) fuel pump. I used to have customers sign a waiver if we installed anything but OEM. The only pumps we install now are OEM.

Add your comment to this topic!