Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 3.2TL runs fine cold, not hot

dhspring
03-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Okay, here's the symptoms of this POS Japmobile, it runs fine from a cold start, then after you drive it, it sputters like it's not getting gas, although it could be an ignition issue. I will have to go to the shop when son is home on break, but I thought it would be worth posting this to see if anyone else has this problem. I can't find a Shrader valve to test the fuel pressure on it as on a GM car. I was going to put a new fuel pressure regulator on, but not even the dealer had one in stock, the parts guys said he never sold one in 8 years on the job and doubted that was the problem. Anyone have a suggestion?

PS, this is exactly why I normally buy GM cars, you can usually fix them on a weekend with some simple procedures, and can always find parts. No more Jap junk for me!

DonSor
07-31-2010, 10:38 PM
I got the same year and model car. What I suspect is happening is that the PCM fails to get off default mode after the engine warms up. When you first start the car cold, the computer goes into a default mode, meaning, that all inputs to the PCM have preset values. But once the engine reaches operating temperature, the computer module shifts from default to operating mode, meaning, that it starts to receive and respond to various inputs such temperature, vacuum, etc. But when this happens the Check Engine Light (CEL) should be on. Check your temperature sensor. You have two, one to the gauge and the other goes to the computer. Try that. By the way I have 127K miles on my Acura and I'm pretty well satisfied with it but then that's only me.

Add your comment to this topic!