Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for Knowledge on Hand Clutch

chadis86
02-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Looking for Knowledge on Hand Operated Clutch systems for an Automotive performance application.
Any Info Welcome. . Thank You

old_master
02-04-2010, 09:42 PM
I have installed countless sets of these... fantastic product, great design, extremely durable. http://mps-handcontrols.com/ Click on "Products" then "Hand controls" then "Brake Only". The brake only unit can be installed to operate the clutch. It can be set up for left or right hand operation.

chadis86
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
m interested in remotely controlling a manual transmission clutch by hand while retaining full clutch pedal use. Don't ask why. I just want to do it. ;-)

The ideal configuration would have a button or lever on the shifter knob that allowed the clutch to be gradually engaged. Squeezing the lever would disengage the clutch. Releasing it would engage the clutch. It would provide the exact same function as the clutch pedal but would require very little physical effort.

A purely mechanical solution is out of the question because of the force needed to disengage a clutch by hand. Also, I don't want any bulky cables and large levers attached to the shifter knob.

I envision a shifter knob with a trigger, some electronics for controlling an actuator, and an actuator which controls some part of the clutch pedal linkage. Simple, right? ;-)

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? I know there are commercial solutions available for handicapped people but they are a bit expensive and not quite what I am looking for.

I'm stumped on what to use for an actuator and what kind of electronics I would need to control it. I'm also stumped on which part of the clutch pedal linkage the actuator would work best on (i.e. pedal, hydraulics, release fork lever, etc.)

Thanks for the help.

MagicRat
02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Don't ask why. I just want to do it. ;-)

Is this to perform smokey burnouts with a manual trans?

You may be able to make a device using a vacuum cannister and a control rod.
Intake manifold vacuum could be used to hold the clutch down.
You could use 2 electricly actuated vaccum control valves from any old car's ventilation system and actuate it through a switch placed on the shift lever.

So, when installed, you would flip one switch. A valve would open, allowing intake manifold vacuum to enter the vacuum can and pull the clutch pedal down.
Then, to release the clutch, you would release that switch and flip another, which would actuate a valve and slowly bleed-off the vacuum, allowing the clutch pedal to come up.
Cool, right?

Add your comment to this topic!