Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 tahoe rear shocks or springs

MWILKY
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
have a 2000 tahoe that i replaced the rear shocks on last year. went with cheap replacements and regret tremendously. the rear end sits lower than in the past and seems to be wearing tires more rapidly. any advice on what kind of replacement shocks we should go with and wear from. could it be a rear spring problem? any advice is much welcomed.

MT-2500
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
have a 2000 tahoe that i replaced the rear shocks on last year. went with cheap replacements and regret tremendously. the rear end sits lower than in the past and seems to be wearing tires more rapidly. any advice on what kind of replacement shocks we should go with and wear from. could it be a rear spring problem? any advice is much welcomed.

The springs is what holds it up?
Shocks take care of the bumps.
If squatting down lower you will need to replace springs.

Go with a major good brand of springs and shocks.
Local parts places should have them.

sprucegoose
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
If the rear is setting lower I agree with MT-2500 that it is probably the springs saggin'... Mine are starting to do the same but I do have 237K miles and have done quite a bit of haulin.

I replaced my OEM Bilstein shocks with Bilstein HDs from Auto Zone at about 150K miles and they are still doing fine. They weren't cheap, but worth every penny in my mind. I think the rears were about $90 ea. if I remember right.

j cAT
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
when you continue to operate the vehicle with bad shocks the springs will be damaged ..as well as other vehicle componets due to the constant movement/friction created...

as the others have stated you now will need new leaf springs and new shocks...If you do carry heavy loads on bad off road get the stronger leafs..

I also have the bilstiens front / rear on my 2000 sil 4X4 ,,,very nice ride and smooth ...

stretch80
02-07-2010, 07:48 AM
If your Tahoe had the towing package the OEM shocks have built in spring or some type of lift. Not only did you replace with OEM shocks with cheap shocks you replaced them with the wrong cheap shocks

sprucegoose
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
If your Tahoe had the towing package the OEM shocks have built in spring or some type of lift. Not only did you replace with OEM shocks with cheap shocks you replaced them with the wrong cheap shocks

Are you sure about that? I have not heard that the towing package on a 2000 had coil over shocks... I have the towing package on my 98 and it is just and extra leaf in the spings I believe.

I agree though, you do not want to sacrifice the springs and ride to a cheap set of shocks... Especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time.

Add your comment to this topic!