Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Jetta coolant system?

3mikeman
12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I have a 2003 Jetta 2.0. I just replaced the thermostat and i believe i have all the air out of the system. Engines is running at 190 have a ton of heat, but the bottom radiator hose is still cold is this right? Now I'm thinking maybe the water pump after reading on line how crappy they are. I took it down the road for a 15 minute ride and it stays right at 190 doesn't overheat and has plenty of heat. Any easy was of telling if it is the water pump?

veedubmechanic
01-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I had another person complain of this. I replaced the wpump, tbelt, and thermostat. Plenty of heat and no overheating. He complained the lower hose was cool.

If its not overheating and it has plenty of heat, what is your concern?:sly:

3mikeman
01-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I just didn't know if this was normal or not. Wanted to make sure first before I start driving for work again.

floatswitch
03-25-2010, 05:22 PM
along the same question, my 01 jetta gls's temperature guage stays on cold, never moves even after driving for an hour and i am burning antifreeze like a kid drinks coolaid. every 4 or 5 days i have to retop it off because the warning light/sound activates.

top hose, hot, bottom cool/warm, but not hot. i think i might have a few issues here, since the temperature sensor is attached to the top hose which is hot, but it never registers as hot on the guage, could i have a bad temperature sensor?

and with the antifreeze being eaten up i'm hoping its just the thermostat stuck closed.

my main question here is, how can i gain access to the thermostat housing screws? the housing is located behind the alternator, do i have to remove the alternator first?

Franco2112
03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
If your car is using coolant you have a leak somewhere. It's a closed system and if your adding coolant you have a problem. Find the leak and or get your system checked out by a professional. You don't want to lose a engine that is still running. A little cost now or big cost later.
Franco

Add your comment to this topic!