Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Sonata transmission fluid was gone

carhelpneeded
12-31-2009, 01:38 PM
We had the car act up and took it to be looked at and it tripped a peddle sensor error, the mechanic replaced the sensor and it still had issues, he checked and the transmission fluid was gone.

How long can a car run without transmission fluid not registering? He said that third gear appears to be burnt up, in that it will not go into third gear until it gets warm and it appears to slip at times also.

This is an automatic transmission. Can anyone give me some feed back on how much damage I am looking at?

Could it still be the pedal sensor issue is not resolved instead?

rallyman66
02-11-2010, 09:47 AM
If the transmission fluid is gone then it is almost certain there is damage to the transmission. If that is the case it will need to be replaced or repaired.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say pedal sensor error? I didn't think the 2005 Sonata used a drive-by-wire throttle. As far as I know the drive-by-wire throttle started with the 2006 Sonata. If that is correct then your car uses a cable operated throttle with a throttle position sensor.

Either way this should have nothing to do with the shifting issues of the transmission. If the transmission fluid is gone it must have leaked out or the car is being driven very hard and the fluid is never being checked/changed.

Add your comment to this topic!