Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2006 TDi Cylinder head $4400?

joey003
12-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi All, new member and first time posting, I hope someone can give me an idea about this:

Recently had problems with my Jetta and took it to the dealer for diagnosis. There was weird noise coming from the motor during acceleration and poor fuel consumption.

Seems that there is some damage and that the cylinder head needs to be replaced along with some gaskets and few other less expensive parts. Whether or not the cylinder head really needs to be replaced i dont know. But is the cost for something like that really $4400? would I see a big difference from a local/independent mechanic/technician? They also mentioned 10 hours of labour so that adds another easy $1000 to the bill..

just looking for any suggestions.. thanks guys!

Franco2112
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
They are trying to jack you. A new cylinder head is VW dealer MSRP $887 and $68.50 for gasket. I would check a German/ European auto repair shop for a quote on labor. About a $1500 job. Give or take a couple dollars.

joey003
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the response Franco. i knew they were jacking it up but had no idea by how much... i'm trying to find some tech's in the area that I can bring the car too. the quote for the job from vw was $6000+ incl tax (cdn$).

MagicRat
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the response Franco. i knew they were jacking it up but had no idea by how much... i'm trying to find some tech's in the area that I can bring the car too. the quote for the job from vw was $6000+ incl tax (cdn$).

Are you sure it was just the head? $6k will get you a completely new engine and new fuel injection assembly. I can see a dealer gouging you, but by THAT much may indicate some kind of misunderstanding.

But I agree, take the car elsewhere and get a second opinion . Generally, dealers are the worst places to go if you need repairs outside of the warranty coverage.

Finally, if it is the head, there are several engine rebuilders and machine shops in Toronto who can supply a rebuilt head, or rebuild yours for less than the cost of a new one. So long as the casting itself is not cracked, it may be rebuildable. A good mechanic can advise you further on the subject.

joey003
12-31-2009, 07:18 AM
yup... it would be $6400 tax in.

definitely when explaining to me, the cylinder head needs to be replaced, and that part alone was the first one mentioned, at a price of $4400. total parts was about 4700, and then 10hours/$1000 of labour bringing it to 5700 plus tax.

i'm looking around for a few places to call and get an idea on what i should do.. i also need to wait until next week to talk to someone i've known for 30+ years who works at the dealer but was off right now.

the car is 4 years old with 180,000km on it. is it common for a tdi motor to have this kind of trouble? i need tdi since i drive long distances, but maybe in the future i should avoid keeping the car too long.

thanks again guys for your feedback, very appreciated

Franco2112
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
No, not common for tdi's to have this issue. I would say at 4 years and your mileage it is premature to have engine failure. But remember cars are mechanical and prone to fail at some juncture. Let us know how things go and what you chose to do if you could. The forum thanks you in advanced.
Franco

veedubmechanic
01-01-2010, 10:51 PM
The 06 is a pumpe duce engine and the cylinderheads are alot different than the alh sohc heads.
I can see how the head is so much, specifically since its not a commonly replaced part.

joey003
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
So few weeks ago I spoke the guys at the dealership and they even gave me a print out of the parts they would be ordering. $4500 for cylinder head, along with some other small parts, and 10 hours of labor.

Anyway, I had the car towed to an independent shop that works on german cars. Actually run by few guys who are close friends with a very close friend of mine.

I called recently and they are waiting to get some parts in to repair the issue. The one guy there said to me "the dealer must have been full of sh*t", because they never removed to cylinder head to check it and it looks like theres nothing wrong with it. They said theyre replacing the camshaft, some valves, bearings among other small things..

i'll write back with an update to see how it all goes.. thanks again for all the previous feedback, much apprecaited.

Franco2112
01-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Joey,
Thanks for keeping us in the know on this issue. It could save others thousands of dollars in needless repairs. Keep us posted. Thanks
Franco

joey003
02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
After a long wait I'm finally driving the Jetta again.

The guys working on it had a tough time getting a new camshaft for the existing head, and while looking found a good deal on a used head/camshaft that were in very good shape when they checked them out.

They put everything back together and spent a few days running the motor and flushing/refilling the oil, driving the car and inspecting it again.

Total job was $2500.. Been driving the car for few days and its running beautifully. First few highway drives at an easy speed showed fuel consumption of 4.5L/100km, even lower than what I was getting before.

Franco2112
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Good deal! It pays to get second/third opinions. Yea, take it easy while driving at least the next couple hundred miles, then you can drive normally. You're set for another 180,000km and more.
Thanks again for your postings!
Franco

Add your comment to this topic!