Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for a car

Sir Viggen
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
My Saab bit the dust...
I am looking for a USED car with the following:

a) MUST be 5 Speed/6 Speed Manual
b) Would be nice if it was turbo... doesn't have to be
c) Reliable... I am looking for a low-maintenance Japanese car (http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?p=935617#)
d) Decent power/torque
e) MUST be either Sedan (http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?p=935617#) or Coupe/Coupe Hatchback... I hate SUVs and trucks
f) I have a budget of around $6,000

Basically I am looking for a relatively cheap reliable performance car...

I wanted a Saab 9-3 (http://www.carforums.net/showthread.php?p=935617#) Turbocharged Viggen... but parents say "No more Saabs"

I've looked at:
The Mazda Rx7... but that is a rotor engine = bad
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Any suggestions?

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Reliable and Turbo Jap car don't usually go together...... come to think of it reliability + any car with a turbo (other than most diesels, they handle it really good) tends to not work.

For 6 grand I'd say a late 90's Camaro, could get one in great shape

Sir Viggen
12-09-2009, 12:19 AM
How about Nissan 300ZX?

Thanks for the reply

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I give it a big Meh, if you want one of the Fairlady Z's I'd say either the 240 or the 280, mainly cause they're such good looking. But repair cost and insurance will be sky high

Sir Viggen
12-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Nissan Sentra SE-R pretty good one??

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I never liked the Sentra.

You and your damn Nissans ;) lol

One clever trick to save a few hundred on insurance, buy white cars, cheapest color of car to insure, Red is the most expensive

Sir Viggen
12-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Actually I don't know anything about Nissan. Parents want me to buy Japanese...
The car I want most is the 2001 9-3 Saab Viggen... can't have it though.

So I am looking for any reasonably priced car that packs a punch...
and usually turbo helps in that area.
Honda Si?

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 12:51 AM
If you want something with some power Honda and Toyota are out of the question completely

Jap cars are usually reliable but when they start trying to make their cars more powerful the reliability goes way down. And when you turbo a frekin Civic........ bad things happen

But any way, there are easyer, cheaper and much more reliable ways to get more power from a car.

My favorites being
- Air intake, nothing huge but it helps
- upgraded exaust, not some POS fart can, I mean a full exaust system upgrade, but that can run pretty steep.
- A simple tune up, a good tune up can get your car running much better.

Given I'm 15 and don't own a car though :D lol some other guys should be on in the morning to give you some more advice

akboss
12-09-2009, 08:39 AM
1) Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
2) Subaru WRX
3) VW GTI
4) MazdaSpeed Protegé
5) Civic Si
6) SVT Ford Focus
7) Sentra SE-R SpecV

Why would you want a Viggen? They look gorgeous but the torque steer is enough to pull you off the road when the massive turbo spools up. If you're open to american cars you can get something like an Impala SS or Pontiac Grand Prix for cheap that make good power and torque and they slip under the insurance radar. Any sport compact is going to cost you huge dollars in insurance - make sure you research before you buy. Of the compact sport segment, I'd recommend the Sentra. It gets by without a turbo, has good torque, and is cheap to buy. And unlike the Civic that uses a timing belt, Nissan uses a timing chain, which makes service intervals on that major component much less frequent.

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
1) Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
2) Subaru WRX
3) VW GTI
4) MazdaSpeed Protegé
5) Civic Si
6) SVT Ford Focus
7) Sentra SE-R SpecV

Why would you want a Viggen? They look gorgeous but the torque steer is enough to pull you off the road when the massive turbo spools up. If you're open to american cars you can get something like an Impala SS or Pontiac Grand Prix for cheap that make good power and torque and they slip under the insurance radar. Any sport compact is going to cost you huge dollars in insurance - make sure you research before you buy. Of the compact sport segment, I'd recommend the Sentra. It gets by without a turbo, has good torque, and is cheap to buy. And unlike the Civic that uses a timing belt, Nissan uses a timing chain, which makes service intervals on that major component much less frequent.

Dear god did you seriously suggest a Civic as sporty? :headshake

MagicRat
12-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Dear god did you seriously suggest a Civic as sporty? :headshake
Civic SI's get stolen a lot so insurance is a little steep.

FWIW, a Saab may not be such a bad choice these days. Now that Saab is somewhat of an "orphan" brand, their resale value has plummeted. They are as popular as plutonium on the used market, so you can find one cheap these days.

What about a Volvo S40 turbo?

Shpuker
12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Civic SI's get stolen a lot so insurance is a little steep.

FWIW, a Saab may not be such a bad choice these days. Now that Saab is somewhat of an "orphan" brand, their resale value has plummeted. They are as popular as plutonium on the used market, so you can find one cheap these days.

What about a Volvo S40 turbo?

Hmm tis true

akboss
12-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I know you can't see past anything without a Hemi, but a Civic SI is sporty. Any factory car for $25K that has a 0-60 in 6.3, can pull 9 G's on a skidpad (yes, it goes around corners) and still gets 25-30 mpg.

Look, I'm not a huge Civic fan, but they are quick cars. I prefer a flatter torque curve and power in the higher gears, but I don't beat on them either cause I know they make good cars.

akboss
12-10-2009, 09:16 AM
S40 Turbo is a quick little car but the OP is looking to spend $6K. Maybe an older late-90's Volvo, but they weren't terribly good in the corners. A 2004 S60R is a great car, but again, probably $15K.

MagicRat
12-10-2009, 10:14 AM
S40 Turbo is a quick little car but the OP is looking to spend $6K. Maybe an older late-90's Volvo, but they weren't terribly good in the corners. A 2004 S60R is a great car, but again, probably $15K.
I see your point.

Well.... maybe Sir should come over to the dark side and buy a V8 Mustang.

anisplas
12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Hello Mr. viggen I have a car, I think you will like this. Your all condition is match with my car. I want to sell that car. Let me know you if are still interested.

akboss
12-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I see your point.

Well.... maybe Sir should come over to the dark side and buy a V8 Mustang.

Can't go wrong there! I'd love to have a GT Stang, unfortunately the gas bill wouldn't work for my 75 Km daily commute... :banghead:

oldblu65
12-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Any vehicle that can pull 9g's on a skid pad is a winner in my book ! :sarcasm1: :biggrin:

Shpuker
12-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I know you can't see past anything without a Hemi, but a Civic SI is sporty. Any factory car for $25K that has a 0-60 in 6.3, can pull 9 G's on a skidpad (yes, it goes around corners) and still gets 25-30 mpg.

Look, I'm not a huge Civic fan, but they are quick cars. I prefer a flatter torque curve and power in the higher gears, but I don't beat on them either cause I know they make good cars.

Just because I don't want a craptastic Civic with 20HP doesn't mean I can't see past anything with a Hemi. And for a car under 3000lbs to be pulling only 9g's and only getting a 6.3 1/4 (not even gona bother looking up any realy #s) is just pathetic.

MagicRat
12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Just because I don't want a craptastic Civic with 20HP doesn't mean I can't see past anything with a Hemi. And for a car under 3000lbs to be pulling only 9g's and only getting a 6.3 1/4 (not even gona bother looking up any realy #s) is just pathetic.

Why?
Those numbers are not so bad. Besides the civic is valued for its tactile characteristics (handling and a light-weight, sporty feel), availability of performance parts and its relatively low price over raw speed. It may not be the ideal choice, but its a reasonable alternative. :)

MagicRat
12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Hello Mr. viggen I have a car, I think you will like this. Your all condition is match with my car. I want to sell that car. Let me know you if are still interested.

Somehow, I do not think that Sir is really interested in your car, since it's in Bangladesh, and you are just a spammer.
Now say goodbye. :sadwavey:

Shpuker
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
lol at spammer :D

But thats exactly why I wouldn't suggest the Civic, there are cars that are more fun to drive with similar MPG ratings that cost a simmilar amount that don't strip away your pride when driven :lol: :D And for 6k your not gona get an SI model. and with just a normal model Civic you'd be looking at an early 2000's with right around 100k miles.

The day I settle for a car thats not fun to drive, simply because it gets better fuel mileage, is the day I stop driving.

Gary L
12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Too bad your parents laid down the law and said no more Saabs.

A good buddy is a Saab Fanatic and has a beautiful one for sale right now and right around your price range.

He is a highly qualified and absolute perfectionist with these cars so I am 100% positive this car is on the money and ready to rock.

I don't know much about Saabs but this one is a 1994, 5 Speed Turbo and in gorgeous condition in every respect.

Hope the pic comes through here and drop me a PM with your email and I will pass it on to him if you are interested.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gamalot/4%20sale/DSC04110.jpg

Gary

MagicRat
12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Ow. Just be careful backing down that driveway. :)

The day I settle for a car thats not fun to drive, simply because it gets better fuel mileage, is the day I stop driving.
Or you turn 40 with a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage that are all enormous :)

Gary L
12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
The middle one gets driven in our NY Catskill winters but the others don't.

I doubt you will find a better car to go in the snow and also be a very fun and fast car to drive.

If I had a garage to shelter her I would own the red convertible in a NY minute. They are probably the easiest and best designed car to work on that I have ever seen.

Gary

Shpuker
12-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Ow. Just be careful backing down that driveway. :)

Or you turn 40 with a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage that are all enormous :)

I plan on being a multi-millionaire. That shouldn't be a problem :biggrin:

But I'd get a durango or something. I could never drive some POS ecobox. If I ever resort to that, I'll just start takin the bus. Hell I'd start taking my 'future kids' school bus if that happened.

MagicRat
12-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I plan on being a multi-millionaire. That shouldn't be a problem :biggrin:

But I'd get a durango or something. I could never drive some POS ecobox. If I ever resort to that, I'll just start takin the bus. Hell I'd start taking my 'future kids' school bus if that happened.

I agree with you there. A four year old Cadillac costs the same as a new little econobox..... and guess which one I would prefer to drive?

Shpuker
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM
I agree with you there. A four year old Cadillac costs the same as a new little econobox..... and guess which one I would prefer to drive?

Man, that one really stumped me. Any hints? :D

I'd take a $36,000 brand new Challenger over a $25,000 USED Prius though....... WTF is up with that crap?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=n&ncal_id=4082285&car_id=272130748&dealer_id=579855&car_year=2010&rdm=1260773427530&lastStartYear=2007&num_records=100&model=CHALLENGER&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2007&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=new&distance=75&marketZipError=false&ct=n&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=DODGE&color=&keywords_display=&scarid=268452442&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&standard=false&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=80118&advanced=&end_year=2011&transmission=&doors=&car_year=2010&max_price=&cardist=27

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=271132986&dealer_id=1153999&car_year=2009&rdm=1260773526464&lastStartYear=1981&model=PRIUS&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=TOYOTA&keywords_display=&color=&scarid=271929967&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=80118&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=59&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

'97ventureowner
12-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Man, that one really stumped me. Any hints? :D

I'd take a $36,000 brand new Challenger over a $25,000 USED Prius though....... WTF is up with that crap?

I will tell you what is up with that. That Clunker program did a lot of damage to used car prices, raising them at least $1000. You should see the auctions, nothing is cheap anymore, and that is the truth...just ask my father! :tongue:

MagicRat
12-14-2009, 01:26 AM
I will tell you what is up with that. That Clunker program did a lot of damage to used car prices, raising them at least $1000. You should see the auctions, nothing is cheap anymore, and that is the truth...just ask my father! :tongue:

Yeah, it's all that commie - pinko Obama's fault....... Why my grandma Rosie swears she saw Obama get on a plane to go to Cuba 3 years ago...... and my uncle Jethro says he KNOWS for a fact that Fidel Castro bankrolled his presidential campaign!!!!!!:biggrin:

jitcar
05-30-2013, 04:36 AM
You should have to follow the new car quotes online and there you will get all the information.Also taking cue from car buying guides, you will help yourself in choosing the car which exactly matches your specifications, budget and reliability.

chargersrool
08-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I say go with a 240sx and save up for this body kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GReddy-X-Rocket-Bunny-180SX-and-240SX-WideBody-Aero-Kit-with-Wing-17020380-/300933670626?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46110b66e2&vxp=mtr

I was thinking about buying a 300zx but now Im definitely buying a 240sx. Has better gas mileage and a lot more to do with the car also. Its also a good starting point for you to learn more about cars, as what I am doing when I buy a 240sx.

P.S. your parents dont want you to buy a Saab because they are no longer in production, hence the maintenance will cost more and the parts will be harder to find.

jitcar
11-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Why not you go through Honda Civic which is often rated as the most reliable.
Here are some car models, have look towards these: 2003 Honda Civic EX $5,850, 2005 Honda Civic LX $5,998

Add your comment to this topic!