Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Taig or Sherline??

Bossolani
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Guys I would like to buy a lathe. I´m in doubt between Taig or Sherline.

Price its a big difference, but precision?? Maintenece?? Accessories?? Tools?? That is my big doubt!!

Anyone have these one? Could You tell me your experience??

Lathe pics or parts pics??

Help me please!!!

Thanks!!

mike@af
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I have a Sherline lathe and mill. I've seen the Taig's, and strongly prefer the Sherlines. The Taig's seem and feel almost toy-like. The Sherline feels very precise and has lots of proper accessories.

MPWR
12-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Keep in mind that a lathe by itself is not very useful. Mine was little more than a large, expensive bench ornament until I got the accessories to allow it to be as a mill also. While many parts can be made on a mill that won't be worked at all on a lathe, you'll probably find that there is very little that you will turn on a lathe that does not also need milling work.

Which leads to a nice thing about Sherline gear. With the purchase of a few accessories, a Sherline lathe can quickly and easily be converted to a mill- and it's vastly cheaper than buying both a lathe and a mill separately.

Murray Kish
12-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I had the same questions, and after a lot of research and looking around, here's the conclusion I came to (take it for what it's worth):

Taig - in my mind, it's advantage is it's much lower cost. A very good lathe and some say it is more sturdy than the Sherline (I have no factual opinion, as I haven't owned one). But not quite as 'refined' as the Sherline. Also the attachments/options to purchase are more limited (but many of the Sherline attachmetns could be used on the Taig as well). It is very functional and well built, but the overall look/feel seems a bit clunky and the parts/pieces feel more 'home built' (many believe that is better). It is very precise and does a good job, as far as I have read.

Sherline - much more expensive, but really first class quality. Everything matches, and fits together really well. Highly refined look and feel. Way more options/attachments. Very accurate and sturdy. A very 'mature' product that has stood the test of time for many many years, and by many many users that put them through much more rigourous use than I ever would.

I chose Sherline. But my pocket-book is still hurting....

Murray

mike@af
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Another thing I might add about Sherline is the people at Sherline are top notch. I have spoken many times with Joe Martin and Craig Libuse of Sherline, and they have bent over backwards to help me out whenever I have needed something.

Bossolani
01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the replies people, really is a very difficult choice especially for the cost, delivery and the high customs tax, because I live in Brazil.

First I would like to buy a lathe now, and in another opportunity accessories for milling machine as well. Analyzing their opinions and experiences and seeking other forums also, I think a lot about the Sherline. Sherline lathe which package do you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks again and sorry for my english.

Cesar Bossolani

MPWR
02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Sherline lathe which package do you recommend for a beginner?

Hi Cesar-

You will need to decide for yourself if you want your lathe in Metric or Standard (I would guess you will want metric). You must also decide if you want a regular length bed or long length. For making model parts, a regular length should be fine.

Once you decide these, I recommend you buy Lathe Package B.

Bossolani
02-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Ohhhh Sorry!!! Metric and regular bed!!! Package B sounds good to me too.

Thanks for help me MPWR!!!

"D" day will coming!!!

Cesar Bossolani

ankitverma
09-08-2013, 09:59 PM
WOW!!! It is a great thread, I have get some interesting information through your thread which is very important for my college project....

Add your comment to this topic!