Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Starting "petal" wear?

1gasenvy1
12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
When starting my '99 3 cyl 5 speed I have to push the clutch petal very hard to the firewall. Is their a switch that engages when I do this, and if so where is it? It's getting worst over time and I don't want to be stranded somewhere and not be able to start the engine. Other than this issue she purs like a kitten.

Gasenvy

Woodie83
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
There is a switch mounted on the bracket that holds the clutch pedal. Either it's going bad or your floor mat is too thick.

idmetro
12-04-2009, 08:47 AM
It could be as simple as the switch Woodie mentions is coming loose. Get out your flashlight, follow the clutch pedal up and you will see a piece of sheetmetal that acts as a stop for the pedal when it is released. On this sheetmetal "stop" you will find the switch in question about 4-5" up from the lowest portion of the "stop". You will be looking at the backside of the switch, there will be several wires coming out of it. Start by reaching up there and seeing if it is loose, if so tighten it back down, if not then you can try adjusting it or replace it. If you follow this a link http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php and choose 1997 Geo Metro, 1L 993cc 61cid L3 TBI (6), Electrical Switch and relay, Clutch pedal ignition lock switch you will be able to see a picture of the switch itself in your same generation Metro.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Add your comment to this topic!