Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some advice.. Maxima newbie..

heyraver
11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
'93 Maxima 196K

So after totaling my buick, I got the hand-me-down maxima from my dad.
Okay, so this car sat for about two years. The timing belt was recently done, and a full tune up was done (despite my dad's friend screwing up the firing order and the motor making a big bang :disappoin).
But anyway, I know for a fact the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, due to the fact that it's glowing red and it smells like burning rubber. The exhaust fumes smells like gas sometimes. The car does idle rough and it is very sluggish accelerating and going up hills. The check engine light has NOT turned on yet...
I do plan on replacing the cat, but what I need to know is what caused the cat to go bad in the first place... I plan on fixing it myself, because I don't have the money to take it to a garage. What should I check/replace? I did notice that the intake manifold is leaking a bit...

Any help is appreciated!

Nahkapohjola
11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
'93 Maxima 196K
... What should I check/replace? I did notice that the intake manifold is leaking a bit...

Any help is appreciated!

My guess is that CAT is ok. Check ign timing - plus all the other zillion issues; Go through this site and verify/test/clean all sensors, connectors... 'Everything' starts from verifying correct operating voltage.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1

Intake & exhaust (to CAT) has to be leak free for sensors & ECU ctrl to function properly.

nissandoc
11-14-2009, 11:49 PM
The reason the cat is glowing is because its loading up with fuel. Most likely a leaky injector or injector o-ring.

heyraver
11-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was under the hood yesterday and found a
disconnected hose on the manifold. I plugged
it back in and it solved the stalling problem. The
idling is a little bit more smooth now, but still rough.
I'm thinking the injectors do need to be replaced, because
I can still smell gas from the exhaust.
Think it would be a good idea getting injectors from the
bone yard?

Nahkapohjola
11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was under the hood yesterday and found a
disconnected hose on the manifold. I plugged
it back in and it solved the stalling problem. The
idling is a little bit more smooth now, but still rough.
I'm thinking the injectors do need to be replaced, because
I can still smell gas from the exhaust.
Think it would be a good idea getting injectors from the
bone yard?

Mileage? Your budget, future plans with max...?

You have already old (most working) injectors, getting friends to them wont hurt. But if these JY 'friends' already dying, swap job will soon be repeated... (If car is relatively LO mile/new and is to be used for long time, buy new.)

2yrs ago we replaced one injector from 250k mile junk to a 60k max - still going strong. Note that there are various kind of injectors that do fit (mixing some wont matter). Check my site for pics.

Sometimes the snakeoil injector cleaners do help; try first. Also drive 5miles with 4krpm (first ? gear); migh loosen a jammed nozzle.

First: Check ign timing, swap plug, cap & wires: see p13.

heyraver
11-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Mileage? Your budget, future plans with max...?

You have already old (most working) injectors, getting friends to them wont hurt. But if these JY 'friends' already dying, swap job will soon be repeated... (If car is relatively LO mile/new and is to be used for long time, buy new.)

2yrs ago we replaced one injector from 250k mile junk to a 60k max - still going strong. Note that there are various kind of injectors that do fit (mixing some wont matter). Check my site for pics.

Sometimes the snakeoil injector cleaners do help; try first. Also drive 5miles with 4krpm (first ? gear); migh loosen a jammed nozzle.

First: Check ign timing, swap plug, cap & wires: see p13.

The car has about 197K on the dash. I'm a full-time student that
works full-time at a nursing home and makes really shi**y pay.
So i'm trying to do this as cheap as possible lol. I only plan on
driving this car temporary until i get my income tax check. Hopefully to
buy a newer maxima. So far, i've changed the spark plugs, wires, cap &
rotor, alternator, radiator and thermostat, starter, timing belt and cover..
You know, all the good stuff. I don't have a timing light, so i'll have to
put that off until I get one. And there are different injectors? So if i got injectors from a different trim level max (all matching injectors), would it
matter at all?

Nahkapohjola
11-17-2009, 12:28 AM
The car has about 197K on the dash. I'm a full-time student that
works full-time at a nursing home and makes really shi**y pay.
So i'm trying to do this as cheap as possible lol. I only plan on
driving this car temporary until i get my income tax check. Hopefully to
buy a newer maxima. So far, i've changed the spark plugs, wires, cap &
rotor, alternator, radiator and thermostat, starter, timing belt and cover..
You know, all the good stuff. I don't have a timing light, so i'll have to
put that off until I get one. And there are different injectors? So if i got injectors from a different trim level max (all matching injectors), would it
matter at all?

If the rear is not rusted through, theres plenty of miles ahead:)

Get the timing light, 25$. Then theres the must do 5cent KS-bypass (or 200$ KS replacement), see page9.

Now only if youre rich (or pa has gas station), you bypass those.

U did not read - usually student do not - did ya?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1

I guess all 89-94 VGE (=belt/distr) models are ok ...at least these blk/blu dots can be used, see page2:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/748000-748999/748507_711.jpg

All the 6x2pcs seals (O-rings) MUST be replaced. Otherwise youll be opening it until u do. Dont go to stealership (just a$$$k, maybe 100$) but go to a shop selling special rubber bits, total 10$. Rubber must be specially for gasoline devices. Use CRC or some thin lube when installing.

Add your comment to this topic!