Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 metro oil pan

302Z28
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Has anyone pulled the oil pan in a 92 Metro while the engine is in the car?
If so, any special advice?
my engine has many miles on it and I would like to roll in new rods and mains.
Thanks,

Johnny Mullet
11-11-2009, 10:32 PM
You can do a complete rebuild without removing the engine. To drop the pan, just remove the small plate from between the engine and trans, remove all the oil pan bolts, and drop it out. It's very simple.

RossT
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I just did this last weekend on my 93. You don't have to drop the exhaust, but I did. It makes removing and putting the oil pan back on much easier. I was resealing my oil pan due to a very small leak. I had heard really good things about a product called "the right stuff" by permatex, so I gave it a try. It is by far the best gaskemaker/sealer that I have every used. You also don't have to wait 23 hours for it to dry!

Woodie83
11-12-2009, 05:05 AM
You can pull the pan and that will get you to the rod bearings, but to do the mains you'll have to do that trick where the new one pushes the old one out of the way, can't really remove the crankshaft properly with it still connected to the transmission.

May I ask why you're replacing the bearings? They're the last thing that goes bad in most cases. If you have a spun bearing and it's making noise, the crankshaft has to come out for resurfacing, maybe replacement.

leonbentz
12-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Yea, you can rebuild one of these (redneck style) without removing the engine, but I wouldn't trust the rear main seal. When I rebuilt mine, two years ago, my rear main was shot and blowing oil out. When I removed it, during the rebuild, it crumbled like a piece of stale bread. So, rebuilding an engine with it in the car will be fine for 2,000, 5,000 or 50,000 miles.....you just won't know. I expect to get a lot more mileage from my rebuild, simply because I pulled it all down and went completely through it and had a machined crank put in it. I put a JDM tranny in it, while I was at it. Still running strong after 31,000 miles and 25 months.

Add your comment to this topic!