Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Unusual Noise

flashlight
11-10-2009, 11:27 PM
About 2 days ago my car started to make a strange whining noise. It sounds like when you take the hose attachment of a vaccum cleaner and get it stuck on something so that it whines. The noise starts at around 20mph and climbs higher in pitch the faster I go. I have a 94 geo 1.0L. And it has around 185K on it.

I would attach a video so that you could hear the noise but it is not allowing me to do so at this time.

jd-autotech
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
check your exhaust system for restrictions or holes

Johnny Mullet
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
It could be either the water pump or alternator bearing also. You can temporarily remove the belt and run it for a short distance and see if the noise goes away. Then you will know.

doug2060
11-12-2009, 11:54 PM
If yours has an AC it could also be those bearings. The AC compressors in these things really like to crap out. Also the tensioner for the AC belt likes to act up... Good luck! You can run it without the AC belt too...

Colt1911
12-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm guessing your belt might be slipping. You could also have an accessory bushing locking up. That would mean alternator, or more likely waterpump. The A/C compressor also. A quick check. remove the belt, the alternator should rotate freely. The water pump should offer 'a little' resistance, meaning spining it with your hand it should turn a little after you let go (unless its new). The A/C compressor should have about the same resistance as the water pump, maybe a little less. This is all subjective of course depending on the age of the components.

I'm betting though that your b elt is just slipping. check the free play first, before you do anything.

Add your comment to this topic!