Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Virgin Poster... With a Prob - 1983 Tioga RV, Run off Ford V8 Cconoline Chassis

Todd Anisman
11-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi All -

Brand new poster, Look forward to getting to know you!

My issue is this: I bought a 1983 Ford Tioga 21' RV, and it has given be a ton of problems...

Seemed fine when I purchased it, but then began stalling. So I go the Fuel Pump replaced. Then it failed smog, so had some vacuum seals on the Engine replaced.

Then Fan Clutch failed, so replaced that, etc. All classic signs of a vehicle that hadn't been driven.

So now fast forward...It sees that the fuel pump has failed again (only 4 months...). I was driving it and it began to lose power...anything over 30MPH, and it would just bog down into mush, no matter how hard I pushed the gas. I could take it out of gear and rev the Engine. Managed to limp it hoome, but now it won't start at all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd A.

MagicRat
11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
It may not be the fuel pump.

Is this a gasoline engine or diesel?

If it's gas, I think you have maintenance problems. Possibly the gas tank is full of rust and has clogged the fuel filter. Check the filter.... if its clogged, you may have to remove the tank and take a look and, at the very least, clean-out the accumulated rust and dirt.

It may be an idea to install a large capacity aftermarket fuel filter near the fuel tank.

You may also have issues regarding a clogged carburetor. The float bowl could be full of dirty gasoline, which has blocked one or more of th efuel jets.

The choke pull-off may also be non.functional.

Todd Anisman
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM

If it's gas, I think you have maintenance problems. Possibly the gas tank is full of rust and has clogged the fuel filter. Check the filter.... if its clogged, you may have to remove the tank and take a look and, at the very least, clean-out the accumulated rust and dirt.

It may be an idea to install a large capacity aftermarket fuel filter near the fuel tank.

You may also have issues regarding a clogged carburetor. The float bowl could be full of dirty gasoline, which has blocked one or more of th efuel jets.

Ok, Good Info. I will have my wife call the mechanic who dropped the tank and see if he remembers rust. Fuel filter...that can make some sense, or a clogged carebureator -

All good stuff to look at, Thanks a bunch. I'll report back.

Todd A.

junk yard doggie
11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
I was going to say the same thing about the rust in the tank. I had the same problem with my 78 Econoline. The rusty tank clogged every fuel filter I put on it. And I went through a half a dozen fuel pumps. I even tried the heavy duty fuel pump with the canister filter on it. The problem went away when I replaced the fuel tank. I haven't changed the fuel pump in the last 10 years or so. The same pump is still going strong.

Todd Anisman
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM

You may also have issues regarding a clogged carburetor. The float bowl could be full of dirty gasoline, which has blocked one or more of the fuel jets.

HI-

Just reporting back...

Choke is operating correctly, Carb seems ok....

I replaced the Fuel filter, and the issue went away. I put one of the plastic types on it, so I'll be able to see if it gunks up.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, it looks as if the Fuel filter was installed Backwards!!!!

So I may just replace the fuel tank, we'll see. Anyway to get the fuel tank any bigger than the 22gal one that's there? I know almost nothign about aftermarket replacements for this kind of thing.

Thanks for your help, led me in the right direction.

Todd A.

Add your comment to this topic!