Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 QC 4X4 snap sound when braking

dakota12gauge
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi all,
Whenever I push on the brake pedal (regardless of speed), I hear and feel a SNAP coming from the front end. The vehicle stops fine and does not pull to either side. I can lightly push on the brakes and hear the snap sound, then remove my foot from the pedal, do it again and receive the same snap sound. I have removed the front brakes (which are not worn) and re-greased the back side of the pads, this seemed to help for a short while but now right back to the same old issue. I am thinking it might have something to do with the caliper spring. Any idea's or suggestions? Thanks.

hundahunta
11-08-2009, 03:26 AM
not sure but I think that the pads which are on the piston side of the caliper has a spring that clips into the piston...also lube the slide end of the brake pads....this is where the pad touches the caliper guide...on either end of the pad...

Metal_Crue
12-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I've had this problem with my 06 4x4 SLT Dakota, though it doesn't happen every time

dakota12gauge
11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Just so others will know, this ended up being worn front tie rod ends...once replaced, no more issues.

Add your comment to this topic!