Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought my first VR4

Johnny3000
10-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I just bought a 1991 VR4 with 146,000 miles and ofcoarse it has a bad synchro for third gear. I have seen that I can buy them individually but was wondering even though only one is acting up should I still replace them all? should I do a complete overhaul? Or just the one synchro? When I have it done what fluid should I use to refill the transmission?

Equally another problem that I have not seen anyone else talk about is it makes a funny noise when making sharp right turns
I have checked cor signs of rubbing but didn't see anything
could this have somthing to do with the transfercase? Mine doesn't leak at the moment

Girly VR-4
10-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I just bought a 1991 VR4 with 146,000 miles and ofcoarse it has a bad synchro for third gear. I have seen that I can buy them individually but was wondering even though only one is acting up should I still replace them all? should I do a complete overhaul? Or just the one synchro? When I have it done what fluid should I use to refill the transmission?

Equally another problem that I have not seen anyone else talk about is it makes a funny noise when making sharp right turns
I have checked cor signs of rubbing but didn't see anything
could this have somthing to do with the transfercase? Mine doesn't leak at the moment

Find a reputable transmission rebuild shop and have them inspect it before ordering up and replacing parts. It's not always just a synchro when you have grinding issues. I would have the worn out parts replaced. It's not necessary to replace all of the synchros, especially if they're just fine. That starts to get VERY expensive. :)

Is it a really high pitched squeaking/squeal? is the wheel turned COMPLETELY to the one side? Might be your power steering pump.

Johnny3000
10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Find a reputable transmission rebuild shop and have them inspect it before ordering up and replacing parts. It's not always just a synchro when you have grinding issues. I would have the worn out parts replaced. It's not necessary to replace all of the synchros, especially if they're just fine. That starts to get VERY expensive. :)

Is it a really high pitched squeaking/squeal? is the wheel turned COMPLETELY to the one side? Might be your power steering pump.

Srry to correct myself it's actual sharp left turns not right
no you don't have to cut the wheel all the way
no it's not a high pitch noise more like a baseball card in a bike tire
I don't think it's the power steering it originates in the left wheel Im about to pull the wheel off now and see what I can find

Equally the more I drive it the better the transmission sounds
the car had been park for quit awhile before I bought it might have somthing to do with it :)

Stealthee
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Check your CV joints and bearing for the sharp turn issue.

Also you may just need a fluid change if it improves are you drive.

You're in Baltimore so look up Seth in Hagerstown. He posts are toddrs93. If hes busy look up Hans with GroundZero Performance in Easton, PA

Johnny3000
10-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys it actually turned out that I did have a baseball card in my tire the front passenger and rear driver fender wells are falling

Add your comment to this topic!