Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Toyota 4runner SR5 Supercharged

jdizil45
09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Looking to buy this 4runner. Really well maintained, supercharged,manual trans, 85000miles, leather etc. KBB value is $7590 but wants more for the supercharger. How much more is the supercharger worth? Is the supercharger worth it or to much trouble?

jdizil45
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
??????

Brian R.
09-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Considering it's age, I would add $500 to the value of the vehicle for the supercharger. It will shorten the life of the transmission.

Here is a lot of information:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/4Run.htm

jdizil45
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks Brian for replying. I was under the impression that superchargers were extremely hard on auto trannyz. The thing that caught my eye was that this 4 runner has a manual transmission. Now by no means am I or close to a gear head but I thought that it was a little easier on stick shifts. Just what I"ve heard over the years. Is it true?

Brian R.
09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry, my mistake. There are so few manual transmissions in 2000 4Runners that I assumed it was an automatic, even after I read it wasn't. DOH

There may be information about the manual somewhere, but I haven't read it. I bet 1 out of 100, 2000 4Runners are manuals. They stopped selling them because no one bought them....

If I was a betting man, I'd bet it was a pretty stout transmission. The weak point would be the clutch.

The nose bearing in the s/c has a tendency to run dry and need periodic filling with lube. The s/c should make a little noise from backlash at idle, but be silent mechanically above idle. Make sure that the s/c kit that was installed has an additional injector to keep the engine from running lean.

I would say that if the s/c was fine, the clutch released properly and engaged strong in all gears, and the transmission shifted smooth without noise or hesitation, I would jump on it. I would buy it if I could. I love manuals.

Add your comment to this topic!