Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is the correct Window Regulator for a 1999 Grand Prix???

pbmatthews
09-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a 4 door 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. The other day while driving, the rear window on the driver's side simply fell down on its own. I had a glass guy I know look at it. He said definitively the regulator was out.

So I went to Pet Boys to get a new regulator.

They ordered a new one---cost $147. Then when I showed up, they told me that they had ordered the wrong one and that one they had in stock ($170) was the correct one.

I was going to have them put it in and was told that it would take about an hour.

Two hours later, they called me back and said that both regulators were not the correct one and that the one I needed had to be special ordered at a cost of $230.

Obviously, I think this is a total screw job. How could the master database of car parts not have the correct window regulator listed? (If you tell it its a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 4-door drivers side rear window with a 3.1 engine how much more specific information does the clerk need to look up the part???)

More importantly, if I order one off the internet, how can I be sure I am getting the correct one?

Any advice on this would be helpful.

jakegday
09-06-2009, 11:15 AM
More importantly, if I order one off the internet, how can I be sure I am getting the correct one?

order from a car parts store with a good reputation, like rockauto.com

00GTP4ME
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I just replaced the driver front regulator and got one brand new from Autozone for $110 with a lifetime warranty. I've also replaced the two passenger door's with regulators from Oreilly's and both have worked fine. I don't recall what I paid for them though as it's been a while.

jakegday
09-08-2009, 12:35 PM
my front drivers side was around $110 from o'reillys. i kept the good ol "you get what you pay for" thought in mind when buying one, dont need one of those things failing me on any random rainy day

doctorhrdware
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Or have the window drop down in the middle of winter at 10 degrees below zero either. Then have to wait to get the part.

richtazz
09-09-2009, 08:37 AM
The people at Pep Boys must be "special". 97-03 Grand Prix's all used the same rear regulators, one for the left side (Dorman 741-837) and one for the right (Dorman 741-838). The only way they could have got the wrong one more than once is if they looked up front instead of rear, or are mentally retarded. I would make them stick to their original price, it's not your fault they're a little slow.

doctorhrdware
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I take that later answer that they are retarded parts monkeys.

tblake
09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
"Mentally Retarded" X3

richtazz
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I take that later answer that they are retarded parts monkeys.

consider them slain, :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!