Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New 84' Z project. Worth it or not?

perna00
08-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm looking into getting an 84' ZX. It needs some work done to it; but the engine is a strong running single turbo 3.0. I've modified a newer eclipse to 20 lbs. of boost ruining 2 engines because of ecu's overriding my tuning and was wondering if this older Z would be a good car to start from. I figure the older programming and easier access to the engine/parts would make this a good project car. The price is $1,200 if I want it, plus it has T-tops. I figure I'd ask to see what I can expect when getting into the performance side of it and if there are any setbacks or limitations to this car/series. Thanks for any info you have.

Andrewhuffman
09-09-2009, 10:53 PM
the vg30 is practically bullet proof... as long as you know what your doing.

I defiantly wouldn't run 20 stock turbo, especially with no IC.

1200 bucks is well worth it IMO

ZXdriver
09-20-2009, 12:23 AM
the vg30et in the small z31 is a real pain to work on unless you have hands and arms the size of a 13 year old girl and bones like gumby. Honestly the 83 turbo zx would be easier to work on. If you get the chance compare the 2 engine bays, how long would it take to do common tasks like spark plugs, replace injectors with larger ones? Notice on the 84 the turbo is buried under the alternator and pipes and steering parts and suspension and is barely visible. On the 83 you can reach down and unbolt it.

DeleriousZ
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
If the body is good then it is probably well worth it. The cars are relatively easy to work on, and are pretty damn simple. There is a fast growing aftermarket scene for the z31 as well.

If you have any more questions, pm me, I don't come round here very often anymore.

Add your comment to this topic!