Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's happening to the paint on my hood?

sircanegiem
07-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Just a month ago or so I noticed some peeling on the hood of my car and it's slowly been getting progressively worse. It looks to me like the clear coat is flaking off or something, but I'm no pro when it comes to paint. Think this is something that I could try to fix myself with minimal painting experience? It's already got some hail damage so it doesn't really bother me if it doesn't look perfect; just want that peeling to stop! :/ Pictures attached.

97TaurusGuy
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
It's orangepeel. Happens a lot with poor quality paint jobs. I see it is on a Honda. Honda's have very soft paint as it is. Is this the original paint or has it been painted?

sircanegiem
07-19-2009, 03:40 PM
It had some front-end damage and the hood was repainted before I bought it; I'd say that was about two years ago now.

97TaurusGuy
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
There's your probably then. Sucky paint job. My guess is that they let the basecoat (the color) dry too much before spraying the clear. The clear did not stick very well. It could be that they used the wrong hardener and the clear didnt harden like it should have. Another possibility is that they used cheap paint.

Polygon
07-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Just a month ago or so I noticed some peeling on the hood of my car and it's slowly been getting progressively worse. It looks to me like the clear coat is flaking off or something, but I'm no pro when it comes to paint. Think this is something that I could try to fix myself with minimal painting experience? It's already got some hail damage so it doesn't really bother me if it doesn't look perfect; just want that peeling to stop! :/ Pictures attached.

That is clear coat failure. You can't fix it with minimal painting experience. At least not for very long. That's the reason it's failing right now. To fix it, it will need to be sanded down and repainted.

It's orangepeel. Happens a lot with poor quality paint jobs. I see it is on a Honda. Honda's have very soft paint as it is. Is this the original paint or has it been painted?

That isn't orange peel. That is clear coat failure.

This is orange peel:

http://www.vintagebus.com/howto/colorsand/orange-peel-1.jpg

It's caused by by failure to do color sanding.

sircanegiem
07-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Darn, that's what I figured. It's got some minor hail damage from a year and a half ago too so it wouldn't even work well if it were sanded down... thinkin' it might be new hood time! Thanks for both of your help.

97TaurusGuy
07-22-2009, 09:14 AM
No need for a new hood. It just needs to be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing. Use a good bodyshop,...NOT MAACO!!!

Guage1515
10-04-2009, 04:31 PM
How do they correct something like this and what does it cost ?

Add your comment to this topic!