Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Forced air iduction collector

tobyhd1
04-02-2003, 08:35 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: For you v-twin motorcycle types.The Forced air Induction Collector exhaust system really works.I bought one of these systems (2 into 1) and the technology behind them is spot-on.The ceramic coating,in and out,gets the spent gases moving out the end of the pipe where it should go and not through the walls of the pipe like most of the pipes out there.Has the same principal as the old asbestos type wrap seen on most high performance engines of all kinds.The coatings are now offered in three colors including "cermachrome" which is a shinney aluminum coating that gleems.You really have to see the system to appreciate it.I was running a bassani system before the FAIC system and you should see the dyno graph now.I personally gained 1hp and 4lbs.ft. of torque max.HERE ME OUT!! Most torque graphs suffer right after roll-on on a typical system because of cam timing,reversion,etc.NOT THIS SYSTEM!I had a 3-4 ft.lb. dip in curve 400 rpm. after roll-on and then the usual pull to the peak at4400 rpm.NOW it just pulls from the word go to peak at 3800 rpm.(600) rpms less and holds it much longer.Where the dip was before is now a 12 ft.lb. increase-tell me that isn`t something you can feel!!90 ft.lbs and 80 hp. 80 cu.in.Hp increases across the length of pull (6-8)!! I`m a torque guy and this pipe is wicked in all aspects.

kaoru-tochiro
04-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Oh Yeah! I'm gonna get me one of those to makes the R1 riders sweat a little.

tobyhd1
04-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Apples and Oranges brother!

R1-rider
04-02-2003, 01:28 PM
lol, do you realize that most sportbikes do not run stock exhaust because it is very restrictive. When I got my full RS3 titanium exhaust, I jumped about 13HP/10ftlbs. Again, go back to the drawing board.

tobyhd1
04-02-2003, 01:46 PM
This thread wasn`t geared to guys bikes that start w/R,X,F,X`s Or G`s or any other lay down model.Just a few words to speak about a good exhaust system for v-twin riders.Thanks for your input-your formula looks cool.

Kennedy200
04-12-2003, 08:08 PM
From a thermodynamic and flow stand point, there is theoretical room for gain. But the problem is that most dynos arent accurate enough to measure the changes. Dynojet 125's are nortorious for giving wrong results. Move the wheel chalk a little, run the motor at a differnet remp, humidity, tire wear, and other factors can make a difference larger than the gains you have seen.

I'm not knocking the possible benefits, just beware of the accuracy of your measuring device. ;)

I had the headers of my last sportbike wrapped with heat tape. I didnt notice any difference, except that my legs and ass were a lot cooler in hot weather.

tobyhd1
04-12-2003, 08:17 PM
My results came from a dynojet 250 with gas analizer.The same dyno which gave me my first results.Since no other changes were made to motor,and approx. same temp.,etc. I`d have to say it was the system.All owners of this system have seen similar results.

R1-rider
04-13-2003, 12:29 PM
OK, then again my Vtwin has dual exit baffled cobras, my gains were a good deal more then yours as my stock exhaust was on a jap cruiser.

Right away when i read the name of the system and found out it was exhaust it is totally marketing bullshit. Forced induction collection? how much closer can you come to saying ram air. The exhaust system might work better for you, but their marketing is just trying to swindle some yuppies into buying a pipe because they have heard tech words like forced induction before.

tobyhd1
04-13-2003, 03:38 PM
maybe your gains were more because the system you had the first time really sucked the big one and you saw a bigger difference.You would see an increase again if you put this system on.Two seperate pipes will not get the performance this one does.Case closed!I guess Cobra means your bike slithers away when it gets beat..............

R1-rider
04-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by tobyhd1
Two seperate pipes will not get the performance this one does.Case closed!

Well since you are obviously an expert on autmotive exhaust, please explain to me the exact reason why this exhaust would give me more gains then my current, and don't write down what they advertise, I wan't to know why you think they add power.

And btw, your slow soft tail would not come close to beating my twin, and this has been proven many times on the street.

tobyhd1
04-13-2003, 09:33 PM
There comes a point,due to cam timing that the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time depending on a particular cam specifications ,we`ll call this "overlap".Your piston tries to draw in a fresh charge of air/fuel and since your ex. valve hasn`t closed yet it also pulls in spent gases that are lazing around in a conventional pipe.The "charge enhancers" that are built into the head pipe,4 or 5 in. out keep these gases from being drawn back in the new intake charge.These are not torque cones!This is also the point where the ex. is stepped to the next size.The result is a cleaner fuel charge thus better efficiency of your motor and the direct results are hp. and torque increases.I hope this clears things up a little!

R1-rider
04-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Are you talking about EGR?

tobyhd1
04-14-2003, 06:06 AM
R1,basicly.To address your response to the forced air part.go to bikerforums.org go to harley forums. I have a similar thread there.On the third response from me you will find an attachment.The photo shows a pretty good picture of the exhaust system.You`ll see at the collector what looks like a third pipe that has been cut off.This port opens into the collector and is straight through .Upon foreward motion,cooler outside air rushes in to create a negative pressure which helps suck the exhaust from the system aiding once again to exhaust gas velocity.It`s not hype-it works quite well in actuality and you shouldn`t condemn something based on prior conventional pipe wisdom........or lack of by (manufacturers). Chrome and swoopy pipes look nice but from a performance stand point are lacking .Why spend good money on looks when you get performance and looks in some cases for a lot less money.

tobyhd1
04-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Back to the egr thing.On automotive applications the egr valve is used solely for the purpose of emissions.On a motorcycle the ones I`m familar with there is no such valve.Except maybe a California emissions equipt models.They do however run crankcase and head breathers into the filter housings.These do not help either and can easily be re-routed so as not to be reintroduced into the fresh intake charge.Why suck in oil vapors into your engine when they hinder performance.Systems such as the thunderheader have their anti-reversion device in the muffler body which is too far from the valve and is not doing the job that it could.Therefore this pipe has exceeded there pipe on independent dyno testing.I haven`t seen any comparisons to a cobra system but I "assume" they fall into the same category as the rhinehart system that I personally seen applied and dyno-ed and talk about hype!!!!!!!!If a winston cup car ran these pipes they would fail to qualify at the local track on sat. night.They (rinehart) might make a wicked exhaust for race cars,but motorcycle designs are lacking.I don`t know if you know all this stuff and are testing me or if you are just busting on me.You know,the computer anominity thing.Later!

R1-rider
04-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Good, atleast you knew what EGR is, atleast gives me an idea you know something about mechanics. The reason why I am hesitant to buy into them is the fact that on every engine I have worked on, spare rotaries, there was never any valve overlap unless it had a radical cam, or had 20 year old valve springs. On a normally functioning engine the cam lobes hit the valves at completely different times, and gives each the exhaust valve enough time to close before the intake valves open.

Get the White Brothers E-Series and dyno those afterwards, those are probably the best pipes you can get for a vtwin cruiser.

tobyhd1
04-14-2003, 04:23 PM
R1,sorry but I have to disagree with you on the cam overlap degrees.At least on a harley pushrod engine anyway.According to nightrider.com ,a not for profit type of web site,they only list 3" stock" cams which have either negative or zero overlap.On any decent performance cam the overlap will be anywhere from 30 to 60 degrees of overlap.That`s just the way it is. 30 -40 degrees of overlap will yield the best for low end torque.40 and up will give higher hp. #`s and peak will be at a higher rpm.You don`t have to believe me if you don`t want to ,but if you talk to any reputable engine builder you`ll see that i am correct.There is an excellent tutorial on all engine aspects at the nightrider site-check for yourself you`ll be much more knowledgeable by the readings end.That is not a slam!As far as the e-pipe goes ,it`s a second.It`s been run and didn`t produce the #`s.If you want to try a pipe I can put you in touch with the creator of the system and see if there is one yet to fit your particular yr. and model.Be talkin` to ya.Toby

R1-rider
04-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Ok did some more reasearch and you are right, there is a very slight valve overlap, the more radical the cam degree the more overlap there is. But having valve overlap doesnt really have any aid in drawing from the intake valve, it just lets there be more a/f before the next combustion. On a pushrod engine I can see why this would be necessary as you only have 2 valves per cylinder, where as I have 4 on my DOHC design, allowing for easier a/f ratios and relieving spent gases. So while your radical timing is required because your valves are not open as much (also contributes to the rough idle of harleys), only then I think you would get any gains over stock exhaust. I can see the schematic in my head of what is going on, but for your average jap cruiser that is DOHC, I don't think you would get much gains out of it, especially compared to aftermarket exhaust.

Kennedy200
04-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by R1-rider
...also contributes to the rough idle of harleys...

The Harley idle is a caused by the ignition set up. On a Harley, both plugs fire at the same time. In the early days this was a simple solution for timing and economics. A system that lets both plugs fire at the same time cost less. Harley has continued to use this antiquated ignitions system. But it is the ingition that helps to give the Harley its own sound. There are some aftermarket ignition systems that will allow the front and rear cylinders to fire seperately. Harleys with these systems sound very different that a stock set up.

tobyhd1
04-14-2003, 07:46 PM
R1, don`t have any results at my disposal for dohc engines as we speak.When I get something yea or nah I`ll let you know.But believe you may be correct in the assumption that the gains would be more substantial on the push-rod motor.Toby

Add your comment to this topic!