Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cougar Won't rotate

ringo7
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Brother has a 96 V 8 Cougar that has been Parked for 3 Months;
I was ask to fix it;I ask the last Driver ,any Codes? no: What I was told that car would Operate for awhile then Performance Issues;
I started with Tune up,Spark Plug gaps were about 75,the Plugs were Champion;I replaced with Motorcraft, Sp Gap 55;also all Plugs on left side #s 5-6-7-8 eng oil on top side :these Plugs sit about six inches deep,I will check the Valve cover gaskets when I have it Running;This car has Coil on each side;
Question when ever I checked the Battery Voltage , it read 11.63 volts,I connected Cables,Key to Start' Solanoid" clicking: Starter would not Rotate Eng,I turned on the Headlights, no lights ,I did have a Chime.cleaned the Grounds and Postive cables and One connected to Frame,Same, No Roation of Eng. Any suggestions?

ringo7
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Brother has a 96 V 8 Cougar that has been Parked for 3 Months;
I was ask to fix it;I ask the last Driver ,any Codes? no: What I was told that car would Operate for awhile then Performance Issues;
I started with Tune up,Spark Plug gaps were about 75,the Plugs were Champion;I replaced with Motorcraft, Sp Gap 55;also all Plugs on left side #s 5-6-7-8 eng oil on top side :these Plugs sit about six inches deep,I will check the Valve cover gaskets when I have it Running;This car has Coil on each side;
Question when ever I checked the Battery Voltage , it read 11.63 volts,I connected Cables,Key to Start' Solanoid" clicking: Starter would not Rotate Eng,I turned on the Headlights, no lights ,I did have a Chime.cleaned the Grounds and Postive cables and One connected to Frame,Same, No Roation of Eng. Any suggestions?next day Batery charged up and Starter working fine;Eng will not start,There is Fuel at the Fuel Rail on top of Eng,I did not hear fuel pump run when I turned Key on,also question there is elec power at both wires at the Injecters?Is this Right

ringo7
06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
next day Batery charged up and Starter working fine;Eng will not start,There is Fuel at the Fuel Rail on top of Eng,I did not hear fuel pump run when I turned Key on,also question there is elec power at both wires at the Injecters?Is this Right

Update,Friday June 26 a.m. 96 Cougar 4.6 V 8
Battery Good-Starter good,Starter Rotates Eng,will not Run, I have Voltage out of Coil to Spark Plugs--I have Fuel
on top of Eng. at the Scharder Valve;I have Voltage to both wires at Fuel Injecters;

I ask the Driver .did Car have any Performance Issues? He said that while driving in Ok.city the Car just died,He called for truck to bring Car to his home,
What would be the next step?

I changed out a bad Elec Fuel Pump that was the Problem, causing no Fuel at Rail;Car Runs but Rough:
Update I do not know the Numbering System of L.H.and R.H Coil packs;Which Sp. Wire goes where; There is an Elec Plug in infront of Coil Starting at Right side of Pack and Moving to left;I Have #1 #6 # 3 #5 This is R.H. coil: Any Mechanic on line

Left Side Coil(Driver's side ) # 2 at R.h, Side of Plug #2 #8 #4 #7

Add your comment to this topic!